What do you think of the CANON T2i?

It's a great camera.

The 75-300mm lens that's bundled with this kit is not the USM version, which is only $20 more when bought singly.

How much do you save by buying this kit, as opposed to picking up individual pieces?

as a NOOB kit I think the tripod is fine, but it will be the weak link.

Like zensteave said.. price the bits you NEED separately, see if you can get better gear for the same price.

Plus I dont think for film making you will ever use the long lens.

Thanks for all your advice! I really need it...and I am looking for a great cam for photo and Video no higher than $800.00.

Of course I need lenses and a tripod....but the lenses i see on Amazon for example run for 200 extra bucks, when I can get the kit for way less.

The Canon T2i is where I ended up first...I've been Googlin' and comparing with other cams.

Right now I am looking at the Nikon D5100...from what I've seen from reviews, it is superior to both the T2i and T3i execpt for (Nikon is 16mp and T3s are 18).

I appreciate the help...keep it coming please!
I plan to make the purchase this week!

Everytime I see a lens like that associated to filmmaking I instantly think of Robert Rodriguez. Not very popular way of filming (zoomingback and forth in the midst of action).

The T2i is a great choice. With Magic Lantern there is nothing a camera can do that you can't. You just need to figure it your best option.

I bought mine from some random guy on the Internet because I didn't have the money for a new one. DSLR are solid and you should check the used-ones market if you want to spare money for lenses.

I love the T2i, but if I were shopping for a camera right now, it would not be on the top of my list. I'm not in the market for a camera, so I haven't done the research to really comment in detail, but I think the GH2 or the T3i might be a better option. I don't think you should be so stuck on that $800 price-limit. I'm sure you can save just a tad bit more.

Even if you go with the T2i, I definitely wouldn't go with this kit. The tripod looks like an absolute POS, similar to the piece of crap I bought from Wal-Mart for $20 (don't judge, it was an emergency). Generic batteries can be bought for ten bucks. Ditto that for card readers. The only Guide to SLR Cameras you need is right here.

And as far as that 75-300mm lens is concerned, I think that's a waste of money. I think a lens like that is probably great for photography, but I don't see much need for it for a filmmaker, considering that you'd only have a couple lenses. I definitely am a fan of the 18-55mm stock lens; it may not be the best lens, but for someone on a limited budget, it offers versatility and a wide option. But if I were to get another lens, I don't think it'd be a zoom, and I don't see much need for 300mm. I think I'd much sooner go with a 100mm, or something in that ballpark.

If you want more flexibility with your videos (and sometimes your pics) go with the T3i because of its flip out screen. VERY HELPFUL! Can't imagine myself filming something with a fixed screen. Just something to think about. :)

Also in that kit, I don't think I trust the SD card. Looks very cheap. But other than that, accessories look good.

Personally I'd just wait a bit longer and pick up a T3i. I find simple updates to the camera in The T3i version such as the adjustable LCD invaluable to my filming. Both are amazing camera though.

I was taking pictures at a Romney Rally earlier this month, I cannot tell you how nice it was to have the adjustable screen to put over my head above the signs haha, and I was only 10 feet away. It's also nice for video... For shots where you need to have a high camera angle, hold it above you haha.

You can pick up the T3i for like 850.. So not much more than that bundle. And to be honest, most the extras in that bundle look like crap. (The 300m could be useful though). I got my T3i for a little over a thousand bucks at Best Buy, and they bundled it with a 55-250mm Canon lens, a nice 50 dollar case, and a 16g nice SD card. It was a really great deal.

Last edited:
And as far as that 75-300mm lens is concerned, I think that's a waste of money. I think a lens like that is probably great for photography, but I don't see much need for it for a filmmaker, considering that you'd only have a couple lenses. I definitely am a fan of the 18-55mm stock lens; it may not be the best lens, but for someone on a limited budget, it offers versatility and a wide option. But if I were to get another lens, I don't think it'd be a zoom, and I don't see much need for 300mm. I think I'd much sooner go with a 100mm, or something in that ballpark.

I use a 55mm-250mm regularly for my film making. It's a bit smaller, but having a bit lens like that can be great for outdoor scenes. I was filming a sniper scene earlier this week and having my 250mm and my 300mm was great, because I was able to zoom in on the victims from a distance, then I add the crosshairs and whatnot later on for effect. I also used the 300mm on top of a parking garage during a trade-off scene where 2 characters were on the garage, one was below. It does have its perks. But I think the specific lens in that kit is probably low quality

sure you can use the long lenses just like that, in fact that's about the only time iv used my very long lenses in the last year or more. a thrify 50 would be a better investment, AKA as the canon 50mm f1.8 EOS lens, its a plastic cover cheap lens that takes WONDERFUL sharp images with lots of shallow DOF..

If you want more flexibility with your videos (and sometimes your pics) go with the T3i because of its flip out screen. VERY HELPFUL! Can't imagine myself filming something with a fixed screen. Just something to think about. :)

Also in that kit, I don't think I trust the SD card. Looks very cheap. But other than that, accessories look good.

You are very correct...the flip out screen is VERY useful.

I just bought the T3i at HG Greggs for a little over $1000 and I love it!

With the came I got the bag, SD card, 18-55mm lens, tripod.

I had to sacrifice the extra lens for the tripod, but I think I got a good deal.

The camera is great...the HD LCD is amazing, and the pics turn out amazing. I haven't played with the video mode yet but I expect good things.

Do you know if there is a time lapse mode on the T3i?

Back