Canon 600D vs. Nikon D5100

I'm looking to get a DSLR and I've narrowed it down between the CANON 600D and NIKON D5100. I've researched both cameras. The 600D image quality is great, but the D5100 has continous autofocus when filming which would be very helpful. It seems like the Nikon has a lot more lenses on the market as well.

I was pretty set on getting the 600D, but now I'm not sure. Opinions?

Well, I prefer the Nikon brand because I heard they're "backward compatible" with lenses. I have an old 1967 Nikon F with a few lenses (i.e Auto Zoom Nikkor 50-300mm F4.5, AUTO Nikkor-N 24mm f/2.8) and I read that they will fit on Nikon DSLRs. Of course, I wasn't planning on using AF with old lenses, but I thought that it would be nice to have at least some extra M-lenses to use. Also I was wondering if an Old Leica 21mm lens from a M5 35mm could work on a Nikon as well. I'm rather unexperienced with cameras and need tips. Thanks

to me it quickly becomes about usability. Questions I would ask (besides the technical imaging ones)

Can I monitor HD out of the HDMI port during record?
Can I use the View Finder during record to get good focus?
Does the camera have any "Focusing aids" ?
Can I set EVERYTHING manually? I know that with most DSLR's this is not an issue, but best to be sure.

Back