Another Lens Build Questions from a video noob

I’m a noob – both to this board and to digital video. I do have a limited photography background so I understand the basics (aperture, shutter speed, differences between zoom and prime, etc). But, I’ve never done video other than of the kids on a small hand held.

I have a Canon T2i. I have the standard poor kit lenses that came with the camera as well as a Canon 85mm /1.8 that I love so far.

I believe the best route for me is to continue with my t2i and put the capital into the lenses at this point (instead of upgrading my camera).

I know this has probably been asked up one end and down the other on this board so I appreciate the patience. Because I already have the prime 85/1.8 how might some of you add to build a good overall kit for video for narrative film making?

Should I continue to build a prime kit and slowly add good lenses over time? Should I have a mix of prime and zoom.

There are budget concerns as I don’t want to spend any more than say $1200 or so for my next purchase.

Possibilities:

Sticking with prime and going 50/1.4 at around $400 and then adding a 17 or 24mm and foregoing the macro for now?

Or Sigma 30mm/1.4 at $500 and adding a 70 – 200 /2.8 zoom (sigma). The problem here is that I probably will upgrade my camera at some point. So we could throw the canon 28mm 1.8 into the equation as well.

I’m not sure either of these options cover the range I’ll need though?

I’ve also looked at going zoom:

Sigma 17 – 50 at $600
And then save up for the 70 – 200 2.8 (or getting the tamron)

I’m a little in the dark and don’t want to pull the trigger before getting some advice from those in the know.

I do appreciate it.

G'day Jesse,

I've always been a fan of versatility so my knee jerk reaction is to go with the zoom lenses first and THEN worry about primes.

Reason is that when I first started I had plenty of opportunities for great shots which were ruined due to lack of decent focal lengths - I was stuck with a 50mm and an 85mm and not having anything for the upper ranges was a huge pain in the backside.

Of course, primes will generally give you a better image at their focal length, but unless you have the ability to move around a lot and get closer/further from the subject, you will really feel the downside to having only primes!

But then, it all depends on what sort of video you shoot as well as your style. I have a bit of a unique twist on things and like to get shots from some very creative angles, so that's why both zooms and primes are a must for me... if you're doing pretty static stuff or if you do a lot of tutorial/product videos then you would be best to focus on your primes.

Josh, so if you were doing it all over again would you start with maybe a 24 - 70 f2.8? Does the advantage of movement outweigh not being able to open up the aperture at short focal lengths? Maybe depends on what you are shooting. I imagine I'll be in some lower light situations.

Pick up a Rokinon/Samyang (both brands are the same) 35mm 1.4. It's about 500, and will way out perform the sigma. I have the 85mm 1.4, it's beautiful. Easily L quality glass, and that 85mm is only $279. No autofocus though if you need a photo lens as well.

As far a zooms, you can get a Canon 24-70 2.8 for under $1200 used. In my experience, it's the best quality/versatility/speed/price combo lens out there. Beautiful images, 2.8 speed, EF mount.

For super wide, the Tokina 11-16 2.8 is killer. Add that to the Rokinon and tou're hovering right around $1200.

All of those lenses will last you several cameras.

Finally, if you want an all prime thing, the Rokon 35 plus a canon 50mm 1.4 in addition to your 85 will keep you pretty versatile. The Canon 50mm 1.4 is a really handy, well priced lens.

Good decision to upgrade glass before camera!

Thanks Paul. I decided (I think) on the 50 1.4f, the tokina 11 - 16, and the already in hand 85 1.8. I may regret not having around the 30 - 35 range but I'll deal with that later. Down the road I think I'll add the 70 - 200 2.8f.

The Samyang/Rokinon set is all i use.

We used that on ITV and Channel 4 Shoots on a F3 and 5D! They are amazing. Got them for my T2i.

14mm F2.8, 35mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4.. Want to get their new 24mm F1.4

Theyre good lenses! Better than L glass in my opinion.. For video that is!

Back