• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Help fund the Metal Gear Movie!

Hey guys,
we are currently in development of a non-profit fan film
based on Hideo Kojima's highly acclaimed videogame Metal Gear
and are in need of funding to build the costume for
the main character.

We know that marketing is a stage of film making usually
done during post production in order to sell the film to an audience.
But what we want to do is build the main character's costume,
and produce some viral marketing tools as proof that we can
create an immersive film experience that is loyal to the game.

If any of you guys are interested, please check out our campaign.
http://www.indiegogo.com/SolidSnakeCostume?a=175738

Any donations you make will go a long way.

Thanks
Ant @ Loftworks Pictures
http://www.facebook.com/loftworks.pictures

Just because you say it's non-profit does not mean it's legal. You don't have the rights to use the character. You really shouldn't be asking for donations for a project like this IMHO. You'd be better off making something very obviously inspired by the source content, but not copying it.

Yeah, wow. Just throw in a piss covered box and call it a day =P

In all seriousness, you really want to watch yourself legally when it comes to Sony's entertainment division. They don't take people playing around with their IP very well. Whilst they might only have a snowball's chance in hell of actually getting you in trouble (unless you're making money from it) their pockets are deep enough to throw DMCA violations and court proceedings your way even if they're unsuccessful.

Just because you say it's non-profit does not mean it's legal. You don't have the rights to use the character. You really shouldn't be asking for donations for a project like this IMHO. You'd be better off making something very obviously inspired by the source content, but not copying it.

Thanks for your feedback.

If we were to make something heavily inspired by the source material for profit then that would just be a rip off, and would be seen as such. Also we are not 'copying' Metal Gear, this is a film adaptation of Metal Gear. Would you say that Christopher Nolan copied the Batman comic books? The only difference is that he was making those films for a profit and had the rights to do so.

If it was illegal for us to use the likeness, name and settings of Metal Gear then so too would it be illegal for anyone to draw a picture of Snake, make an animation, game review, fan fiction or anything else. Just because the media is film doesn't change copyright infringement, only, in some cases the party that owns the rights.

Also I would like to point out that we aren't the first people to make a Metal Gear fan movie, and we certainly aren't the first to ask for donations in order to make a fan film, and as of yet I have never heard of someone being sued for doing such a thing.

Yeah, wow. Just throw in a piss covered box and call it a day =P

In all seriousness, you really want to watch yourself legally when it comes to Sony's entertainment division. They don't take people playing around with their IP very well. Whilst they might only have a snowball's chance in hell of actually getting you in trouble (unless you're making money from it) their pockets are deep enough to throw DMCA violations and court proceedings your way even if they're unsuccessful.

You are correct, in that Sony could quite easily bog us down in legal problems from here to eternity but why would they commit time and money to something that has no legal standing, grounds or any benefit to them? As I have pointed out in the other reply we aren't the first people to do a Metal Gear fan movie and no legal repercussions have befallen these other film makers because they haven't broken any copyright laws.

I understand where you and some of the other users are coming from, and it's understandable, as you can't be certain of our intentions at this point. I assure you we have researched the legal issues and will not breaking any copyright law.

Look, I've got no problem with fan films, and it seems like most companies don't mind them either. There is a whole subculture of fan films for all kinds of things, and I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it.

However,

I assure you we have researched the legal issues and will not breaking any copyright law.

That is simply not true. Not getting in trouble and not breaking copyright are two very different things. And quite black and white. You use trademarked logos are costumes or blatantly use the exact plot and characters from a comic book (I'm assuming this is a comic book thing, I've never heard of Metal Gear') without written permission, that's breaking copyright. Period.

@Dready,

Metal Gear is a series of video games produced by Sony Entertainment Japan. It's a current on-going series.
Everything else you said is spot on - the costumes and characters are VERY specific and there's no doubt in my mind that these constitute Sony's IP.

@Loft,

When you're talking about crowd-sourcing donations then you're talking about the aspect of money being involved. Sure, Sony probably have bigger fish to fry, but their legal department is well known for dick moves, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they decided to come after some guys who decided accepting donations for derivatives of their work was a good idea.

I assume you're going for something along the lines of the Philanthropy film?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid:_Philanthropy

Please don't get us wrong - we're not saying that you shouldn't go for a MGS video. Sony won't care about some low production value fan movie like the ones which have been linked in this topic, but when you are talking about putting real money (and $1500 for a costume is "real" money when it comes to a fan movie) into this, you are likely to be treading very grey water which could easily be turned red with the blood of your crew if Sony decide to bite.

AFAIK there was a MGS film adaptation in the works which has been postponed indefinitely specifically because Sony were worried about the repercussions of the film if it performed poorly. These guys are a Japanese company and they operate inherently different to companies like Bungie or Bethesda, who are happy to have a huge community base coming up with new stuff. They want total lock-down on all their IP and have no problem taking you down at the same time.

For the love of all that is holy, at least get a release to help indemnify you from their wrath.

Further reading re Sony vs. the little guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hotz
http://www.soe.com/termsofservice.vm (search for Fan)

P.S: Since Sony has been cut up and switched around countless times (separation of gaming division from entertainment, for instance) I believe Konami still retain the original rights to the MGS franchise.

Last edited:
I guess there's only one way to find out. If you think you've done the research, and if you're willing to take the risks, then I guess you're going to do it. I love a good fan film, and some of them are quite celebrated by their fandoms, and I hope everything works out for you.

I guess there's only one way to find out. If you think you've done the research, and if you're willing to take the risks, then I guess you're going to do it. I love a good fan film, and some of them are quite celebrated by their fandoms, and I hope everything works out for you.

Thank you for the positive feedback :)

Just because it's a fan film doesn't mean it's not susceptible to the law. It's still copyright infringement so just be careful or Chuck Norris will come for you.

A perfect example...

The Michael Myers Mask from the Halloween franchise... the law and rights holders have been cracking down on independent mask sculptures who are making Myers masks with slight variations and selling them even though they are "fan made". Even fan sites are getting shut down.

It does happen.

Lawsuit waiting to happen

Agreed.

Nothing will probably happen. But you are using copyrighted logos, images, and characters.

As long as this is a fan film Sony most likely won't care. Just because there are other people making fan films that are asking for donations doesn't make it legal. Same thing is true if you run a red light, along with several cars in front of you, but only you get the ticket. Or you, along with millions of others, pirate music or software, and only you get sued/fined, not your friends. Just because others are doing it without trouble, doesn't hold the same for you.

Like said, nothing most likely will happen, but if you start making money from this film, whether it's through youtube's partner program, film festivals, competitions, dvd sales, etc. Or you get a lot of exposure on video game sites and it gets some public attention that catches Sony's eye, there is a possibility you will get sued.

The people on this forum are not trying to stop you from making your fan film, just trying to make you aware of what may or may not happen.

Best of luck.

Back