• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Love Journey - A Valentine Story

Hey guys! Just launched our latest today. A short, cute love story told though quick-fire shots. It's made with churches in mind, we included scripture. I understand that not everyone is a fan of that, but hey, it's still a production!

Vimeo Link: http://vimeo.com/36092464

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps3k7YSWnf0

A bit about the production. We tried to keep it as low key as possible and nail it in a long day. Shot all the food sequence in about 4 hours (and the last shot at the end), then hit the town with just myself directing, two actors, cinematographer, AD and a PA helping keep track of all the wardrobe changes. Then spent the afternoon evening out and about marking off the shot list.

I worked on the edit, cinematographer on the motion text, and we had a new composer work with us named Jeremiah Morton that just went over and above anything we could expect! More of his work at http://soundcloud.com/tokeeptime

Hope you guys enjoy, thanks!

You guys are so prolific! Should we expect an Easter short as well? St Paddy's Day? Yom Kippur? :P

I'm at work but I'll be sure to watch it when I get home.

btw, does the more religious bent of the piece have anything to do with that offer you got from the Christian media company about your Christmas short?

Haha, funny you mention it actually, working on three Easter pieces to release simultaneously!

It does help that we're able to sell on a church media site for sure. Almost every member on the team though has a background of church media to some extent though. Some volunteering here and there, some full time for years. It's a part of our DNA.

We still want to make features, but having all the practice we can in the meantime on projects that pay for themselves is pretty nice too!

Thanks CF! The score really helped, and the guy doing it was a blast to work with. If anyone needs his contact info for a project I'd be happy to pass it along.

And thanks too impresario. Many have a differing worldview and I can respect that. With the audience in mind, we were hoping more of a "love is important" theme would come across than a "religion is important" theme, but I suppose everyone will take something different from any clip they see, huh?

Thanks again!

It's true, everyone interprets pretty much everything through their own filter. For the record, the message I got from this video was more along the lines of -- Love Each Other, For a Lifetime; also, Don't Forget Jesus. :)

Paul, Cracker...I viewed a 2nd time
Title...Love Journey - A Valentine Story
Should read...Love Journey - A Valentine Story - Guaranteed Only With Christ
The whole dynamic changed.
Please, you put that message in it, its out there... so the film says the only sure way to have "true" love, journey, family even Valentine, is only with Xstianity.
just my humble opinion

"Walk in Love, as Christ also has loved us and given himself for us."

I think you're reading too much into that, dude. It's obviously a pro-Christianity message, nothing hidden there. But I don't know how you twist that into "Follow Christ or you'll live a life without love".

I get the impression that our little debate might be a moot-point, anyway, because their target audience is probably people who already follow Jesus. I don't think this is a video intended to convert the masses.

Regardless, I see absolutely nothing in this video that implies that it's Jesus...or ELSE! I see no condemnation of other religions. I see no condemnation of non-religion. I only see one comparitively-subtle mention that Jesus loved you and made the ultimate sacrifice for you, and if you want to live a life of Love, then you should be willing to give yourself the same way to those you love.

It doesn't matter if you believe that Jesus was the Son of God (I don't). Heck, it doesn't even matter if you believe there is a God (I don't), or if Jesus ever actually existed (I don't). The teachings of Jesus, whether they be an historical account, or a fictional fable, are simple and plain -- Love thy neighbor, as you love yourself. You don't need to be religious to understand that The Golden Rule is just morally and logically the best way to live your life.

If you really take an honest look at this video, I don't think you can fairly say that it is teaching anything more than The Golden Rule, with a slight promo towards joining Christianity. But I don't see how you could interpret it as saying that Christianity is the only way.

Nice work. :cool:

I gotta say when it first started, and there's that loooong sequence of food in various setups, all that sprang to mind was, "Wow, this couple really likes to eat!" :eek:

I caught up when the rest of the montages started. :blush:

First, thanks ZenSteve! I think it may be a bit long at first too haha. A lot of food.

Second, thanks for your interpretation CF. Indeed, my intention in posting this here isn't to condem, convert or demean anyone who doesn't share my worldview. It definitely wasn't to start an online religious debate, as arguments like that rarely result in anything positive.

Again, yes it quotes scripture, my viewpoint is probably going to come through a bit in anything I work on, just like anyone else's will in their work. None the less, this is a production forum. I'm hoping we can continue to discuss the production despite differing opinions on content.

Alrighty haha, thanks again guys.

I loved this, Paul! I'm a Christian, and I got a bit of the religious theme in there; but for me, it was akin to putting a quote from a famous well-spoken individual rather than a conversion tool. You could just as easily have put in something by Ghandi or Eleanor Roosevelt and it would have had a similar impact for me.

I was waiting for the baby to come in! I was really disappointed when it seemed to end without showing the logical progression of all that loving each other. ;) Then the baby came at the end and I was happy again.

Really enjoyed it, thought it was a great piece. Like a lot of others have said, I didn't really see it as a 'conversion tool' or even as overtly religious- prior to that final quote nothing like that crossed my mind. I would also agree that the scripture seemed almost like a quote more than anything.

All in all great stuff!

The story was a brilliantly visual one.

So would the story work equally as well without the little teenie weenie "subliminal" quote thrown in?

I think it would, most definately.

I

Last edited:
I think this was brilliant. I loved the sound effects in the beginning and how they go away when the music starts. The music was well done.

It communicates extremely well.

I'd go so far as to say this is one of the best products I've seen from an Indietalker.

Great job.

Back