Hard to break out

Hey all,

As a junior in highschool I'm starting to look at career options. As a vivid film lover, my dream job would be directing and I know it's a tough road if one wants to make a career out of it. I'm willing to walk that road and all but I'm curious to know what you all think about traveling it. What are the chances that one can est. themselves well enough to make directing a career that pays the bills and what needs to be done to get myself there. These I know my guidance counsoler can't tell me, so I thought I'd ask those that are involved in the buisness to see what you have to say about directing and having it as a full time career, paying bills and supporting a family. Thanks again for all your help through my path to directing!

J.D.

P.S. if anyone has any alternative suggestions to directing that involves working with or around films please feel free if you think that's a better option or whatever. Thanks

Well J.D,
Firstly I wish you all the best and you're doing the right thing by thinking about all these things and if you want something hard enough you'll get it!!!!

Opportunities Vary Directing as a career path can't really be defined. The whole area is so broad in the first place it would be hard to say which from where is the side of the other! There's directing commercials which is completely the other end of the spectrum to directing features to directing music videos to directing sitcoms - all sides of the shape.

Beware of popular misconceptions There's lots of misconceptions floating out there about what a director does, what a director is, be sure you figure out what the real mc'coy is before you get led down a dark alley. In relation to directing feature films and narratives for cinema - If you want lots of money - think again, if you want lots of status - think again, if you want a comfortable lifestyle - think again again! If you love art, want to tell a story and are up for a challenge? Go for it!!!! But enough of the military recruitment style... Because like I say Directing is a spectrum with many many avenues to go down and some are more easy to follow than others.

Experience A key key key and i'll emphasise again KEY thing is to get experience. In my view showing hard copy material is better than any university A* bit of paper. Directing is a pratical art and the only way to pratice a pratical art is by getting practical! That could be starting directing your next door neighbour in a film about his mom's leaking bath tub to getting experience by going to a studio, looking around, getting some work experience! Get on set somehow somewhere and get active!

Keep Looking Around But what I would do is, by all means keep your sights on one goal, but do not keep heading for that goal blindly. Keep your options open, look around and test the water in other directions. At your age there's plenty ahead that you've probably not ever thought about or heard about that you might fall in love with! For example, you might get to 17 - 18 make a film with a bigger crew you're in charge of and feel like actually you're prefer to light a film, or hold the camera etc...

There's loads more to say but I'm going to let some other guys spill their beans for you! Better to get a whole range of stuff from loads of people and pick out an average vibe! ;)

ALL THE BEST!

Ai, I don't have lots of experience myself, but I can vouch for the fact that it is of ultimate value. I don't know what sort of facilities you have where you live but it might be a good idea to see if you can get a job around a studio of some sort. Every little bit of time spent around a set and a camera is worthwhile - especially if you are considering this as your career. This is, at least, what I have found to be most educational and inspiring.

My advice is learn a marketable skill other than directing. When you're director, that's all you can do and if there isn't any money, then you have no project, but if you have editing skills, you can edit somebody else's project while you develope a project. There always seems to be lack of good sound recordists, so that could be a good way to make some cash, get on sets and watch another director work. Plus starting out as a sound person, the investment is low (a shotgun mic, boom pole and good headphone) compared to an editor (edit system) or cinematographer (camera, accessories and light kit). Writing is a great way to go because you can learn story structure.

Find something you like to do which you can do well and offer those skills to other more experienced filmmakers. You can learn through working for them.

Scott

Thankyou all! Each one of you had a great piece of advice, all of which I'll take to heart. I would love to be a film director, I've been fond of films since as far back as I can remember. I know it will be tough and all and I'm thinking seriously of studying something other then film directing in school because like was said exp. is the key and I can get that now. Actually a group of friends and myself are starting a film making group. My school has a decent studio with semi decent eq. so we'll see how that goes. Thankyou all again for your help and if anyone has any other info. please post! Also sad to say I don't think there's any filming jobs besides movie clerk or something like that where I live woodbridge va., but if anyone knows of any on set exp. or studio exp. please let me know! Thanks again!

-J.D.

Welcome Aboard

Hey J.D. It's really great to see another person around my age on this site (im 16). It's really cool that you have an interest in film, im practically the same way you are. I just want to say welcome aboard and good luck with with everything. This is a really great site and everyone here has helped me out so much.
~Kyle~

I completely agree with Scott.

But, my skill has nothing to do with video or film... it is a well paying secondary skill, but I really don't like it so much, at least I don't like it any where as much as I love film.

But that doesn't matter. I think either you want to be a director of film for your entire life or you don't, not much grey area. When I was in High School I had no idea I wanted to be a director. Now I am giddy whenever I even get around film equipment, and certainly it is an emotional experience to be around quality cinema. Thats the way it goes, one day it just hit me like a ton of bricks watching a movie and that was that.

Back