To Submit or Not To Submit

This is the question.

Here's a film that Sean and I made some time ago. Some of you on the board may already have seen it. We've been putting off sending it to festivals thinking that it needs some technical improvement (such as some bad matte/composite work on my part, and also shortening it a bit).

So, I'm just looking for some opinions on what you think of the short. Is it needed to go back and fix these small technical problems? Or should we love it as it is and send it off to the festival circuit?

Take a look and, please, share your thoughts.

http://vimeo.com/33472446
narcissist.jpg

http://vimeo.com/33472446

The piano sequence flaw is noticeable, some of the titles are too close to the edge -- some film festivals don't get the entire image on the screen so you may want to keep it in the "title safe" area.

I say send it.

If you were to re-work it, yeah, I think it could be a little more tight. And the narration isn't always clear -- if you could find a way to remix the audio to bring the narration up front, that might be better. As far as the compositing is concerned, yeah I noticed the little glitches you mentioned, but they're pretty minor. I only noticed them because I'm a filmmaker and I was actively looking for them. Regular audience members won't see them. Even if they do see them, and actually care, fuck those nit-picking bastards.

The main reason I would just send it is a question of being able to just finally drop a project and walk away from it, warts and all. When exactly you do that is of course a personal decision, but you gotta do it sooner or later. If I were to continue working on fixing the flaws in "Antihero", I'd be in post-production until 2015. Forget that; next project.

You gotta ask yourself -- what exactly do you want to come from this film? Are the proposed changes necessary to achieving that desired outcome?

The end (last 1.5 minutes or so) felt drawn out, it all could use some tightening. Bet you could get it down to 4 minutes and still tell the same story.

Love the shot of the two in bed. Funny.

Submitting to festivals is such a gamble and can make one feel terrible after dropping $35 or more and getting the "Thank you for your submission, however...", but then it's "Top of the world, ma!" when you do.

If you have the extra money and feel strongly about the material, by all means submit. Just be choosy about which festivals. And look for the earlybird deadlines to stretch your dollars.

Good luck!

I think if you are planning on doing some work on it before submitting then I would say working on the mix would be foremost, because I found it very difficult to hear the narration. 2nd would be to tighten it up. I think for what it is it could definitely be shorter. You want people to enjoy it for what it is, but don't keep them so long they get bored.

I have to echo Flicker Pictures comment about how festivals really are a crap shoot. There seems to be little rhyme or reason why you get into one and not the other. You will spend a lot of money and have a lot of dissapointment. But geting in is a great feeling too. And going to festivals and hanging out with other filmmakers is an awesome networking opportunity.

I would say clean it up a bit and submit it.

Back