• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Aliens vs Sailors

Well the title got my interest, the film was kind of rubbish but I guess that was sort of the point? Trouble is I think if you are doing a comedy pastiche of an existing genre it has to nail the genre completely, and I don't think this did I'm afraid.

Color grading was all over the place - occasionally looked fairly convincingly 70s (when they were climbing the cliff) but mostly didn't. Photography was very overexposed a lot of the time. Seemed odd that it had subtitles too because the sort of film you were aping would not have done (well perhaps for the aliens, but not the sailors).

Don't know if you've ever seen Gentlemen Broncos? Its good but not amazing overall, but the 70s sci fi sequences are absolutely bang on and hilarious. Worth a watch for reference if nothing else.

As we have started to add colour to our silent movies, we thought we would go for the late 60's early 70's style but with a minimal cast I how you all enjoy Aliens vs Sailors

We are set to film our next slightly bigger short on the 13th of Feb, so maybe around the 20th I can share it with everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XHv1BbSF0I&context=C373b7feADOEgsToPDskIelLRGSbgQOA5jix9oAJu6

You need to work on your director skills. The actors were running through their scenes like they had to go to the bathroom real bad.

You could have and should have gotten more out of them.

Well the title got my interest, the film was kind of rubbish but I guess that was sort of the point? Trouble is I think if you are doing a comedy pastiche of an existing genre it has to nail the genre completely, and I don't think this did I'm afraid.

Color grading was all over the place - occasionally looked fairly convincingly 70s (when they were climbing the cliff) but mostly didn't. Photography was very overexposed a lot of the time. Seemed odd that it had subtitles too because the sort of film you were aping would not have done (well perhaps for the aliens, but not the sailors).

Don't know if you've ever seen Gentlemen Broncos? Its good but not amazing overall, but the 70s sci fi sequences are absolutely bang on and hilarious. Worth a watch for reference if nothing else.

Firstly, Thanks for your comments.

Yes, the film was ment to be tounge in cheek, we had no real budjet and I think we spent around £15 on the whole project and that was on the sailors outfits and a roll of tin foil, everything else was found, borrowed or bashed together rather crudely.

We did have a few snags, 4... yes four members of the cast didn't turn up for it, thats why we used the same person for the alien(s) and the Producer had to step in as one of the sailors.

We 'had' to put the subtitles on, no one could understand what was happening with out the dialog, we orignally recorded the sailors speaking Sweedish but due to the crazy amout of wind on the cliff top we had to scrap that (which has made us purchase some 'better' audio equiptment)

I will keep my eye out for Gentlemen Broncos, ive never even heard of it but its always best to watch other peoples professional versions if its along the same lines as what we are aiming for.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Back