Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 - On 550d

Hey everyone,

Currently i only have a 50mm f/1.8 lens for my canon 550d. I use my camera only for filming and im new to filming thus i am still learning what is best. Ive been looking at the EF 28mm f/2.8 as i feel the crop on my 50mm makes everything feel to cramped for films to be used in every shot.

Would the 28mm lens be alot better for general filming and giving it more of a film look than filming all the time with the 50mm? I am young and dont have a lot of money which is why i am very limited on prices and my lenses.

To my knowledge the 28mm would be cropped to 45mm which is just abit wider than the eye.

Or would a 18-55 be better as im only filming in light places?

Cheers

Last edited:
Depends on the price of the lenses, but I suggest you buying 18-200mm lense. Only 28mm and 50mm are not enough, because you can't zoom in and always pick the distance to the filming object. I, personally, have Canon 60D with 18-135mm lense and going to buy 50mm f/1.8. It works fine and is one of the best setups.

28mm would give you a lot more options for sure, and it's cheap. I have one I use just for stills and it's a decent lens. That would give you basically a "normal" and a medium telephoto (the 50 on a crop sensor). You're still going to need to add something wide (17mm or so which turns into about a 28mm on your camera), Which where one of the cheap zooms would seem to make more sense.

Back