• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My new Action Short Film

I quit watching at 1:00 because films with a lot of guns are tiresome.

However, you did get right to the gist immediately, thus keeping my attention longer than most shorts posted here. You do have an eye for filmmaking, so you'll likely do well with more practice.

As for the editing, the shot in the car was a tad too long and one clip was far too short. You'll improve the film if the pacing was more even -- a couple of seconds for each clip -- not a hardfast rule, but for this genre, yeah you want to keep things moving along quickly and evenly.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Looks like you did quite a lot with very little resources. It's only the beginning my friend. Welcome to the club of seeking other people's approval. It'll only get easier :)

You have potential. To do all of this, all by yourself, is a sign of a hard worker.
Keep it going and post more.

Welcome to the site!

I think it is really hard to pull off a genre piece like this on a limited budget because the props, locations, acting, direction and editing quickly reveal it for what it truly is.

Okay, I wanna make a film about the end of the world. I have no budget. The last thing I'm going to try and do is recreate the visual intensity of a disaster epic. Imagine trying to pull off the kinds of shots from of Lars Von Triers' Meloncholia without access to the resources necessary. So, what do I do? I look at what I've got around me, and assess the resources I do have. After doing this either I realise I can't make my end of the world epic, or that I have to make one that doesn't rely on these genre forms. I can maybe do it with story and character, but not with CGI and grand sets.

I think the same kind of rationale needs to be applied to these kind of pieces. Unless you do, I believe the films created will fall well short of what you could potentially create.

But hey, you might completely disagree

I think it is really hard to pull off a genre piece like this on a limited budget because the props, locations, acting, direction and editing quickly reveal it for what it truly is.

Okay, I wanna make a film about the end of the world. I have no budget. The last thing I'm going to try and do is recreate the visual intensity of a disaster epic. Imagine trying to pull off the kinds of shots from of Lars Von Triers' Meloncholia without access to the resources necessary. So, what do I do? I look at what I've got around me, and assess the resources I do have. After doing this either I realise I can't make my end of the world epic, or that I have to make one that doesn't rely on these genre forms. I can maybe do it with story and character, but not with CGI and grand sets.

I think the same kind of rationale needs to be applied to these kind of pieces. Unless you do, I believe the films created will fall well short of what you could potentially create.

If only the Action Essentials company had stock footage of the end of the world you could use.

As for the current short, I agree with what everyone said, but one thing that bothered me above all else was the acting. They didn't look like they knew how to shoot guns or be more covert or alert. But that will come with practice, don't worry. I think re-editing this one could help!

It's all in your vision of the end of the world.

I created a visions of the end of life on Earth at the end of of last feature film, I, Creator, showing a nuclear winter. Only 3 cyborgs survived and walk through it.

I picked a wooded area in a very cold and frosty December with winds blowing. In post, I desaturated the coloring to make it look darker and more gloomy and added in post fog effects. The real winter wind blowing added to the effect of a nuclear winter.

Again, it has to do with your vision. I went with the scientific theory of a nuclear winter that followed a global nuclear war on Earth.

Back