ranking/hierarchy of festival festivals

Hello,

Where can I find a ranking/hierarchy of festival festivals? Not just the top ones, but first, second and third tiers as well.

I guess I’m after a rough indication of the pecking order…

Many thanks

Honestly I don't think there is any official ranking simply because film industry is rapidly changing industry.
Closest to "ranking" I think you could look around on withoutabox.com and check out most popular once.

Thank you, but I find it hard to believe that there isn't some kind of guide out there. I imagine that many distributors or sales agents or whoever else more or less have a list/heirachy in their heads...it's a matter of seeing that online I guess :)

I imagine that many distributors or sales agents or whoever else more or less have a list/heirachy in their heads...it's a matter of seeing that online I guess :)

You imagine incorrectly. There is a VERY small handful of festivals that agents and distributors give a damn about. You can count them on both your hands.

The other nine million festivals are strictly for the experience/networking/fun/"prestige".

You imagine incorrectly. There is a VERY small handful of festivals that agents and distributors give a damn about. You can count them on both your hands.

The other nine million festivals are strictly for the experience/networking/fun/"prestige".

Pretty much. There are the big boys Sundance, Tribeca, SXSW, Berlin, etc....
Then there are the established, but not as prestigious festivals (Slamdance, my local festival Nashville)
Then there is everybody else.

I typed film festival rankings into Google and found several sites
that rank festivals based on different criteria. Film Festival World
seems to have a lot of info. ShareRanks has an interesting list.

Yeah I did some google searching but only seemed to come up with top 10 to maybe top 40...I'm looking for top 100 or 300 or 500 or whatever. There are soooooooo many festivals, so many with 'international' in their names, and so many that claim to introduce your work to new markets/distributors/agents/networks etc etc that it feels a little like flailing in the dark. And to be frank, when some of them charge close to $100 a pop, I can't afford to be entering them all.

Is this true? Don't festivals give you an audience?

"The other nine million festivals are strictly for the experience/networking/fun/"prestige".

But surely it means something to a distributor that your film has had an audience, and success at festivals. It is a kind of validation...

Back