NEW and in need of advise.

:roll:

Have script-will film?
We are new but eager and will be shooting our DV movie(feature) very soon, hopefully. Anyadvise on getting it out there would be great. One of our concerns is once we film, edit and are satisfied with the result. Then what? Should we form an LLC, Corportation, ??? which is best and is it necessary. We just want our films to be watched and hopefully, someday make a little green to finance more. Please don't say, ask an entertainment attorney!! If I had one I would. That seems to be a frequent response. Any good websites on protecting your projects, Copywriting, selling, or ?? I know this seems like a very broad generic question but I'm sure at least a couple of you have at some point been in my shoes. Thanks for any advice.

Screen it locally, get some reaction, make sure you're OK with it, send it off to some festivals to hopefully garner at least a few awards which will help you to A) find an entertainment attorney willing to work with you, and hopefully B) give you some new names and opportunities to get financing and distribution. DON'T start signing deals with ANYONE until you understand the legal side of it, which an EA can help you with.

Oh yeah, you really need to copyright the script and film once its done.

work your ass off in every way for your film. You may lose your girl/guy, alienate your family and go broke, but to get out there you must be out there. get a screan at a local theater, then a week or 2 weeks in advance hit the local radio stations and promote your ass off. give screeners to any one willing to take one. Invite the local entertainment collumnist to the showing as a guest of honor.

and oh ya
copyright everything as soon as possible

<<One of our concerns is once we film, edit and are satisfied with the result. Then what? Should we form an LLC, Corportation, ??? >>

If you made the film without doing this, then you don't really need to form a corporation. A partnership or sole propriotor should work. Just make sure you have your tax and legal papers in order.

As to protecting your film, I really wouldn't worry about it. Indie films are not tops on the list for rip off artist as in stealing your movie to sell. They aim for the big Hollywood product. Now rip-off distributors are another question. Here are two articles by Tim Ritter, indie filmmaker that give a good look at indie distribution:
http://www.b-independent.com/production/carnagecorner11.htm

http://www.b-independent.com/production/carnagecorner10.htm

Very good info on distribution.

As to attorney's, at least get somebody to look over your contracts before you sign.

Good luck.

Scott

I recommend you get a book called "The Producer's Business Handbook" by John J. Lee, Jr. That gives answers to a lot of the questions you're asking.

You'll find, though, that the reason people say "ask an entertainment attorney" is because there is no "set" answer to your questions.

The answer to all of them is "it depends." At any rate, I hope that helps you.

Good luck with your project.

Back