Best beginning Panasonic GH2 setup.

After a couple of conversations with members of this forum, and some research, I decided that the GH2 was the best choice for the level of film making I'm looking to get into right now. In about a month or so I will finally have enough funds to purchase the GH2. My question is, what is the best setup? Or really, what lens should I get with the camera. I'm not looking for a ultra awesome lens that cost as much as the camera right now, but instead for a versatile lens that I can use for a variety of situations. I am looking at purchasing this one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043VE31O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3

I can get one for about three hundred dollars less (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC...ree-Angle-14-42mm/dp/B0043VE27Y/ref=pd_cp_p_0) but the lenses differ greatly, and I would rather get the better lens. Will that lens work for now as a general lens for filming no-budget short films? At least until I get enough funds to purchase more appropriate lenses. Or is there a different lens that would better suit my needs?

Another thing: could someone point me in the direction of perhaps a tutorial on how to properly use the GH2 for filming. Different settings with different results, etc... So I can study as much as possible before my purchase. I have never filmed using a DSLR before and need a crash course.

(One last thing, is Amazon a good place to purchase? I've had good experiences with their customer service before. Or would I be able to find it cheaper somewhere else? My geographical situation doesn't allow much in the way of camera stores. The one close to me shut down just last year.)

amazon is fine, good return policies.

I have the kit 14-42 lens, its slow (basic photography 101) but good for a lot of stuff. Its the widest lens I have on the GH2.

Wide angle lenses, as opposed to telephoto lenses are the challenge with the GH2. In film-making I more frequently need the wider shot.. not the telephoto. 42mm on the GH2 is telephoto, zoomed in looking. I have lots of lenses at my disposal (nothing fancy, just lots of pawn shop stuff) and I almost NEVER reach for anything longer than 50mm. That said, I believe the 14-104 is a better quality lens, faster too, but I don't know for sure.

Start with DSLR Film School.. it doesn't do much specifically with the GH2 but its a good start.

http://vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/11/introduction-to-dslr-cameras

So it seems for both of you that I should get the 42mm lens? What would be the drawbacks to getting that as opposed to the 140mm? On the plus side, if I get the 42mm I can purchase the camera right now, and learn how to use it properly. (Do practice shots, or maybe no-audio shorts) That way, when I finally have enough to purchase the rest of the equipment (mic, audio recorder etc...) I'll fully know how to use the GH2. If I do get the 42 mm, what lenses would you recommend for later purchase?

A Canon 50mm prime lens with an adapter would be a great place to start. You can get one on ebay for less than $100. You will lose the autofocus functions, but you need to learn to shoot with manual controls anyway.

its not a 42mm lens, its a 14mm -to- 42mm zoom lens. As you get into this, you'll see why the distinction is important.

The canon 50mm is a PRIME lens, no zoom. But NOT A NEW LENS, only old one. NOTHING AUTO FOCUS unless its made for the Micro4/3rds mount.

The "kit" (14-42mm) lens will keep you plenty busy. But if you want to explore the look of old lenses then the canon FD 50mm f1.4 is a great place to start.

I've heard that the warranties sold separately are nothing but a waste of money due to the specifications under which the warranty applies. Does this ring true? Or is it worth spending the extra $100?

Where can I get a GH2 online. Obviously I could just google it but i would prefer to buy from somewhere someone has had personal experience with. Amazon won't ship my order for "One to two months", that or pay an extra $100. What trusted sites that you know of could I buy a GH2 from?

Where can I get a GH2 online. Obviously I could just google it but i would prefer to buy from somewhere someone has had personal experience with. Amazon won't ship my order for "One to two months", that or pay an extra $100. What trusted sites that you know of could I buy a GH2 from?

I bought my GH1 from B&H. Highly recommend them! And their prices are normally about the same as Amazon. The GH2 with the 14-42mm lens is $900 right now with free shipping.

As far as lenses go, I would recommend a vintage Helios 44-2 lens, which is a 58mm (I think it's 58, maybe it's 56mm, I'm too lazy to go dig it out and check). I picked mine up with a Zenit camera for around $50, though you can find them even cheaper.

Considering a GH2 for my B cam instead of a 7D. I need one for 60 fps stuff and I'd get the added advantage of clean architectural shots, something very hard to do with the Canons. Just worried the footage won't mix well.

MT, as Cameron said, B&H is outstanding for video/camera equipment...they are extremely reputable. I just got the GH2 with 14-140mm lens for $1100 with free shipping at B&H which is a steal. The lens itself is worth $600 easy if I wanted to sell it. I think it depends on what style of filmmaking you choose to pursue. Zooms were popular in quite a few 70's films, but I find when I watch those films and see the zoom its like fingernails on a chalk board...they're catching on now again in films, but in a more stylized way..still not my bag..I'd rather move the camera closer or further away than use a zoom, so the Canon FD 50mm lens makes much more sense...but, this 14-140mm is a nice lens for photography and I'm hooked on it..I can't part with it! lol Good luck on the purchase and don't forget to keep an external mic purchase into consideration if you don't already have one.

I have all of the (under extremely expensive) recommendations from this site. The Tascam audio recorder, to the Rode NTG2 mic, and the GH2. I've had it all in my amazon cart for a while now. Come the end of march I can finally afford it, but Amazon now says a month wait for the GH2, so it looks like I'll be buying that from B&H, thanks guys.

Back