It's 2012, why buy a Red One?

We're needing a new camera and a couple of the partners in my small time production company are wanting to buy a second hand Red One. They're quite cheap now and you can pick one up with a production kit for around 10 grand.

Now the Red One was the ducks guts a few years ago, and people couldn't stop talking about it.

But is it worth buying now? Why should I buy a Red One?

(Incase anyone jumps on the DSLR bandwagon, they just don't suit our needs)

They are still worth it for the price if you can't get your hands on an Alexa or Epic. It's heavy and requires a lot of know-how; however the video is still gorgeous! Also like Phil said in his post, the RED Scarlet would be a very very nice option.

Yeah, I want to know where you found a Red "package" for 10K. MAYBE a body with a lot of hours on it for that price, but a full set of Red Primes costs 20K.

I'm betting "production package" is either without glass, or with the RED 17-50mm default PL lens. Or maybe they have a Nikon mount or something. Definitely not a full set of primes for that.

Body, ET Dovetail, Top Handle, maybe some cards, maybe a 320 Drive, maybe an ET HD-SDI breakout, assorted rails and parts, a battery or two, charger, stuff like that for 10K, maybe.

As far as the original question:

What do you guys shoot? Corporate clients probably don't need the resolution and won't be willing to spring for the added gear cost and added hours in post. If you want to break into the ULB feature space and can offer a good rate on the camera, you'd find some traction there.

Last edited:
Local rental house in my town had three. One was VERY low serial number. They sold it about a year ago to a company in Canada who wanted the low serial for place in line for the Scarlet (or one of the other "new" Red cameras) for more than they paid for it new.

They sold the second one about 6 months later when rentals fell off a cliff as most of the music video production in town (Nashville) went to 5Ds.

I think they still have one they rent.

No lenses, their prices are ridiculous.

Not really, it has the Mysterium X sensor. It'll shoot better video than a scarlet and a scarlet is $15k shooting with no glass. Granted, it's about 12 times heavier than a Scarlet haha.

Yes, it's a 1st Gen camera, so it'll be outdated faster than the Second Gen cameras out now. But it's still a solid Camera that shoots fantastic video that'll compete with $100k plus cameras.

Lenses start around $4k for simple primes, and lenses devalue really, really slowly. Thinking you'll get a lens or two for a RED as well as a body for $10k is asking a lot.

SLRs...SUCK! No global shutter.... so, no Whip Panning nor 'fast' panning.

With that said....all I can afford is an SLR for my production, planning to buy a Can and use my Nikon lenses on it.

Try this recent video: http://youtu.be/gSgE0WYogng

10k seem to be the magic price point for all the newer system coming out. I have no experience with the Red One nor Scarlet nor the newest Can....which BH is taking pre orders.

If the features and numbers is comparable and the pricing is the same (in total package, not just the single body), then I always go for new for it's warranty coverage. Since I...everyone...have limited funding, I can use my existing Nikon lenses on which ever system that allows for it. Canon slr mount, with an adopter, will take Nikon's F mount....unchanged since the Eisenhower administration of the 50s = cheap used prime lenses in 'any pawn shop' or flee market (are they "good" is another question entirely)

If you have the budget for PL lenses and all, then you're not moved by the F mount

We're needing a new camera and a couple of the partners in my small time production company are wanting to buy a second hand Red One. They're quite cheap now and you can pick one up with a production kit for around 10 grand.

Now the Red One was the ducks guts a few years ago, and people couldn't stop talking about it.

But is it worth buying now? Why should I buy a Red One?

(Incase anyone jumps on the DSLR bandwagon, they just don't suit our needs)

Back