• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch New filmmaker! New Films!

Are you serious? You want us to watch a movie you whipped out to meet a quota?

A LARGE percentage of the films posted in here are unwatchable. Thanks for telling us in advance that your film is part of this group so I don't waste my time.

I don't want to be mean but that video clip really did not show enough to judge the story. I got the creepy thought that it was a horror film about killing kids or a whole family. Hope I am wrong.

Sorry for the confusion, that was the 11th video for January 11th. If anyone is interested, the first video that we posted on January 1st can be viewed here:

1. I SUGGEST HYPNOSIS
http://youtu.be/gu4__SNpW40

These videos serve as companion pieces to a short film that we will be releasing very soon titled "Betty Spaghetti". Enjoy the mystery and thanks for watching.

Thanks for the views and comments, indietalk! I am a member of Ham and Fish, and I truly appreciate them.

@rockerrockstar I don't think you were being mean. I like your perspective. I personally think the kids themselves are really creepy, but you are worried for them. I didn't think of it that way, and I think that's a very compassionate place to come from.

Also, I see that some of us need a pitch, so here's something a little more explanatory:

Filmed and edited over the course of a year, The January 31 is a video project that birthed its own format. It consists of 30 short videos and a crowning 30-minute video. The daily releases are a loving callback to early serial films, while the content is a heady blend of high-definition black and white, the bleeding colors of '80s VHS, layered soundscapes, and grotesque and goofy melodrama. Each video enhances and relies on the others to tell its story. A recently-returned soldier, a flock of children, a forgotten cameraman, and many others grapple with the surreal within the real in The January 31.

I think I see what your team is shooting for, and can appreciate the effort and outcome.

It's not easy by a long shot to fabricate, script, plan, shoot, ad lib a little, edit, and publish at this rate.
The process is likely very educational and a great exercise for everyone involved.
Lots to learn about each other's strengths and weaknesses, and how to work in supportive roles on the fly.
Interesting really. Like a mash up between micro-community theater, performance art, and a 24hr film competition. A month of them. 30/31 24hr film festivals all back to back. Sounds exhausting.

It will be interesting to see what your crew can do when you get your process down slick and have some time to craft a coherent piece.
I bet you'll be fine.

And get some lav mics. :lol:
The hallway scene in 10. I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE was brutal. :yes:

On the Ham and Fish about page there's a whoop-tee-do insignificant typo:
http://hamandfish.com/about/
"Angela Fleenor was enticed into the sordid world of filmmaking... " <-- extra space after "of".
No big whup.

GL & GB

Ray

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, rayw. I love it when people point out typos, no matter how insignificant. It's like having the heart to tell someone they have broccoli in their teeth.

We are learning a lot, and it's been a great experience. I would encourage everyone to try their hand at a video a day.

There is a lot of stuff we want to work on, but I think coherence can be attained without having a straightforward narrative. I guess this is a bit experimental, but we're really interested in building a web of coherence instead of a cause-and-effect line. We don't need time in order to craft something more "coherent;" we need the will. And I don't think that's going to happen. However, I think your perspective is totally valid, and I think a decent amount of people will see it your way.

Back