premiere or vegas????

J

Jaggernaut

ive benn experimenting with both adobe premiere 6.0 and sonic foundry vegas 4. I know everybody recomends premiere and everything but i must admit that vegas suits my needs perfectly, i like vegas more than premiere..

but i dont know if premiere has better quality at rendering time or something so what do you think.. which one do you like the most?

Do I have to?

Well, if I HAD to choose between the two, I would pick Premiere only because the interface looks better to me. Vegas just looks like a jumbled mess in my opinion. But hey, if you like it, use it. I downloaded a demo of it and I was impressed by all the features it has, I just hated the interface. But I guess if Vegas was more stable than Premiere, that could possibly sway my opinion.

right..

Thats funny since i think premiere has the better plug-ins and stuff but a less friendly interface. And vegas seems a bit "less professional" but the interface seems so easy!!!

And of course, a G5 and FCP is always the answer, but you know, not everybody is loaded with dough this days..

If you're happy with Vegas, then go that route. It's not about the tools, it's about how you use them and if you're happy with them. Vegas comes with a great toolset out of the box. Premiere is very good and if you're into effects, the fact that it links up with After Effects is great.

I've discovered that there is no perfect piece of software. One will have some great little tool that none of the other will have or one will have some crazy little quirk which you'll have to work around.

Scott

If you're running a WinTel platform, Vegas can't be beat. Yes, the interface is different from other NLEs, but this makes it no less professional. In fact, where Vegas really shines -- in my opinion -- is its elegance and simplicty. Not to mention stability.

I used to use Premiere, but it blows ... blows up a lot, that is. And, if you really want your interface to look like the other guys, there is a way to do it in Vegas 5.

JonnyMac said:
If you're running a WinTel platform, Vegas can't be beat.

I used to use Premiere, but it blows ... blows up a lot, that is. And, if you really want your interface to look like the other guys, there is a way to do it in Vegas 5.

I've used Premiere for 5 years... never had a crash. Opinions and experience will vary from user to user.

Use whichever program you feel most comfortable with. I truly don't believe that one program is "better" than another, except in how it performs specific tasks. I've used them all, they aren't very different.

I havnt used Premier much but vegas 4 is pretty decent. it renders in High Definition and has alot of the basic effects that one needs like color keying or blue screening compisition. it has some nice fades and transitions. and it has a really cool sepia effect.

But if i wanted to do more realistic looking effects like rain or sun or lens flares or explosions or smoke then the easiest and best software I would think would be investing in 3D Studio Max or MAYA.

though both are in the thousands you can do a far better effect then they offer.

well.. I didnt mean 3ds max is used for editing. You could but its rendering is ridiculasly slow. I know its main purpose is used to create games and cgi but i have seen some fantastic plugins like afterburn that make very realistic smoke and fire.

So in short i wasnt suggesting using 3ds for editing. But if i wanted to apply lighting to a scene that i couldnt do naturally or with the aid of the camera lights then something like Lightscape for cgi software might help work.

But what do I know.. im just starting out. I just have seen what can be done with cgi software and its getting alot better and more realistic.

Back