skyfest

A film I cut a year or two ago won best film at this thing. I can't say much about it, because I don't think there is an actual festival. I think you submit and he gives out awards. I think the whole thing is kind of weird.

To me a festival is something you go to and hang out with other filmmakers. This is a far cry from that.

On the contrary, festivals like this gives a level playing field to every film. In festivals with audiences, programmers tend to pick films that will fill the the seats, avoid certain controversial films, and so on. No such problems in this case.

Like all festivals, some are better run than others. This one is well run and the fellow running it is a very enthusiatic supporter of indie filmmakers and their films.

Hey there Guerilla. I saw you a lot over on the WAB boards.

I didn't to give the impression this is a bad festival. I just wanted to make it clear that it really is more an awards thing and not a physical event. Awards are great and can be great PR, but I personally get a lot out of experiencing my film on a big screen with an audience. I also thing the networking opportunities are priceless.

Hey there Guerilla. I saw you a lot over on the WAB boards.

I didn't to give the impression this is a bad festival. I just wanted to make it clear that it really is more an awards thing and not a physical event. Awards are great and can be great PR, but I personally get a lot out of experiencing my film on a big screen with an audience. I also thing the networking opportunities are priceless.

Sure, every filmmaker should be able to see their film in front of a sizable audience at least once. I understand the fun factor there.

BTW, to others considering SkyFest, the fella who runs it stayed in contact before and after the fest. Some of the brick and mortar festivals didn't.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. This is my first time doing festivals, and that was the first one I did, and I did get a 4th place, but since I have been shot down by the attending kind of festivals--1 mega one, but 3 second or third tier types that I thought I had a good shot. Anyway, that got me a bit discouraged, after my initial good news, and I stopped entering others. So I was curious about the one that dug it, if it was for real or considered a joke, since it is a virtual award festival.

Couple dozen, really...ok. Money does add up, but I'm glad to hear this...wasn't sure if it was time to punt. I still have several that I will be hearing from over the next few months, but I'll go back and look over some more and submit. Thanks for the tips.

This one is well run and the fellow running it is a very enthusiatic supporter of indie filmmakers and their films.

I took your advice and entered just today.

Can't work out if I want to spend more of my pennies entering festivals or not.

I doubt a distributor will pick my film up at one.

But winning or placing at them might help me get a distributor or sales agent.

And its good to have an audience!!! ;)

I took your advice and entered just today.

Can't work out if I want to spend more of my pennies entering festivals or not.

I doubt a distributor will pick my film up at one.

But winning or placing at them might help me get a distributor or sales agent.

And its good to have an audience!!! ;)

It's a tough call on deciding whether to spend the money or not, but look at it this way, if you don't you might regret years from now for not at least trying . . . you can safely avoid paying for big bucks submissions -- I only entered Sundance and a few other top tier festivals because I said I would and I have that peace of mind now -- My successes come from mid level festivals that are open to this genre. Some were predictable, others came by surprise. You'll never know.

Good luck.

Do you have a short film or a feature? With I short I wouldn't really hold my breath in terms of distribution. Shorts are really more about getting your name out there and making connections. It's your calling card. Distribution would be a great thing and I'm sure it happens every once in a while, but in terms of that being a game plan in submitting your film I think you may find yourself rather disappointed at the end of your run.

With a feature on the other hand it really depends on what you have and where it fits in. Depending on what you have a variety of festivals might be better suited to helping you find a distributor, but again it's going to be a long slog. Guerrilla Angel might have more insight here having done features. I've only done a short and for me it has been all about getting my name out there and not so much about distribution.

Do you have a short film or a feature? With I short I wouldn't really hold my breath in terms of distribution. Shorts are really more about getting your name out there and making connections. It's your calling card. Distribution would be a great thing and I'm sure it happens every once in a while, but in terms of that being a game plan in submitting your film I think you may find yourself rather disappointed at the end of your run.

With a feature on the other hand it really depends on what you have and where it fits in. Depending on what you have a variety of festivals might be better suited to helping you find a distributor, but again it's going to be a long slog. Guerrilla Angel might have more insight here having done features. I've only done a short and for me it has been all about getting my name out there and not so much about distribution.

Yep, you're completely right. A good short can be a great calling card, opening some doors that previously were closed. As for distribution of a short -- I'd say you put that energy into getting your feature funded instead.

Back