private own property on film

private property on film

Friends and family gathered for Xmas.
Discussion involved a script that
has scenes within a popular private landmark building.
The script even stretches further destroying the building at the end.

Say if this eventually becomes a feature, is there a legal issue
regarding the "image" or god knows-things regarding this building or
its owner? Of course, this is a pure fiction flick.

Last edited:
Correct me if Im wrong but the owners of the Chrysler building have stopped people from including their building in a movie poster so...under recent law, buildings can be registered much as trade marks or logos. So some big buildings might be an issue if you are simply showing their trademarked building, however not all building owners are pricks.

spidermanadv.jpg

This poster was issued in a very limited number and then was withdrawn because Sony had not received permission to use the image of the Chrysler Building (under recent law, buildings can be registered much as trade marks or logos.) It was withdrawn long before Sept. 11, when the later posters (issued to replace this one after the problem with the Chrysler Building was settled and when the date of release was known...hence the second series of posters cite May as the month of the film's opening) were withdrawn because the image of the WTC appeared in Spiderman's goggles. This is one of two International posters, released in July of 2001 and withdrawn in early August of the same year. This is the English language international poster. The text along the bottom contains all the proper bells and whistles; Marvel logo, for promotional use only, etc. This is the rarest of all the posters issued for the 2002 theatrical release of Spiderman.

That's what we were discussing.
Landmark building usually not owned by a single person but
by large corporation, which is even harder to get
permission to include their building in the flick.
Most of the buildings that get "destroyed" in films
I saw are public buildings.

as soon as you'll step on the private property - you need property onwer's written permition.
If it's a big landmark building owned by a corporation then I guess that could be trouble. If it's just a small time lot then no big deal. We've shot scenes in a private lot without permission. A lawyer told me that the worst they could sue for is to get paid what they should have been paid for rent to use their lot. Nothing more. So in most cases we're talking small claims, and that's IF they ever found out about it and cared.

Back