• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Something's Abstract - Very Proud of My First Short Film!

Hey all!

I'm a University Student, studying Theatre.

But one of my main passions, is Filmmaking. During my first semester I managed to produce a short slient film, it runs quick but I took some time to plan and edit this thing (I edited a few drafts of the film). This is my first finished project, so maybe I'm proud of just filming and finishing something, but what the hell haha

I'd love for people of this community to take a look at it and give me some feedback!

The Title is 'Something's Abstract'

It's about a young man who discovers an unusual piece of work at an art gallery. This piece, mystifies the man as he tries to solve it's meaning.

This film was alos bought on my newest buy: the Canon XA10, as well edited with Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10

Here are two screenshots:

Direct Link: http://vimeo.com/34151381

Thanks and Please Enjoy!

I'm looking at Film Festivals for this, so if anyone would like to give me some notes that would help me lots. It would be my first festival if I get in!

What festivals have you attended?

In all honesty, none. I have lived in a small town for all my life, haven't really been in the film scene. But I'm now studying at a University in a larger city and have only been to a couple local film screenings.

But yeah, I've never attended or entered any film festival - This one would be sent to Canadian short film festivals and perhaps an American one.

The guy on the far right looks like he has natural talent look for horror films, vampire films.

Make a vampire movie and cast that guy on the far right as a vampire , he has the persona to slip right into a vampire role. His arms crossed like that ect.

Last edited:
Don’t know what it is about vimo, but no matter what I do I can’t
watch an entire movie. This one stops about 65 seconds in. From
what I saw I liked the guy - great expressions - so kudos on the
casting.

Here’s my lecture - ignore it:

You want to enter festivals. That means you want people to see
your movies. Now is the time you need to become an audience. Too
many filmmakers are just like you - they want their film in a festival
and they dream of a captive audience enjoying their movie. But they
will not attend any festivals. They all have excellent reasons for not
attending. But that means that when they do get accepted into a
festival they sit in a 300 seat theater with their cast and crew and
five more people.

I'm sorry I can't watch the whole thing.

I like the concept, and I think it's shot nicely. To be honest, though, I got the twist about 30-seconds into the movie. With that being the case, I think I would've liked it more if it had dialogue, so that the all-knowing audience could laugh at the silly and pretentious things that the characters would say.

This is pretty darn good for your first time out.

mildly entertaining, I too got it early.. well, not exactly.. it was a LUNCH box, I had it as a tool box..

Nice music, but I dont think thats a legal use of the playmypiece.com recording which in turn may not be a legal use of the susiki music catalog... that might cause issues with festivals.

mildly entertaining, I too got it early.. well, not exactly.. it was a LUNCH box, I had it as a tool box..

Nice music, but I dont think thats a legal use of the playmypiece.com recording which in turn may not be a legal use of the susiki music catalog... that might cause issues with festivals.
I actually contacted 'play my piece' they gave me full rights to use the music in the film for festivals and online.
Haha I did check that out, but thanks for the feedback!

Back