Finally thinking Canon and need info Vixia and 35mm lens?

Hello all,

This forum has been the ultimate help in me finding the right things to look for in camcorder. I seriously considered getting a 7d, but it was still out of my price range.
So, I thought I would get the Canon VIXIA HF G10 as long as I can attach a 35mm lens....however, the video on that camera doesn't match up to an earlier camera called Canon VIXIA HFS100...as I looked at video from the European camera Canon Legria HFS100 which is supposedly the same thing.
I saw this youtube video for the Legria camera test and it blew my mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lS4BnnyY7w&feature=related
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpqFvF3_N1w

These LOOK like movies! (I realize they are using color correction and some kind of added effect..what is the best and user friendly program one can recommend for that btw?)
As far as the cameras, I found the legria or vixia hfs100 online from amazon, but as I live in america, I wondered the dangers of getting the european version, and is the American version the same in quality?
Then I thought.....well, the Canon Vixia HF g10 must be a move up from these latter camcorders? That way I can buy directly from canon and get a war. from them. However, the test videos on them don't look as movie like and I am still unconvinced the earlier camcorder wouldn't do me justic, and a super-duper-However is, the hf100 is still cheaper (and money is an issue) to get the slightly earlier camcorders from Amazon and get their war and it seems to be what I need and I will still add lens adapters so they might do just as well or better....hmmmmm...can anyone advise me on that? Is Amazon reliable with war.? Is anyone familiar with pros and cons from these cameras? Vixia hfg10 or hf100....

So this is where I am now. Thank you all so much for the input. Please keep it coming because this is such a good help. You guys rock!

As far as a lens:

I found this site for 35mm lens at" http://vid-atlantic.com/encinema35.html
which says its lens adapters make iphone videos even have DOP. They have some pretty good sample videos as well...but I am still kinda ignorant.

I don't know if I need to buy the "full kit" but that makes it still too much money. Is there anywhere online one can recommend for getting a 35mm film lens adapter to hook up to my canon if I buy the Vixia VIXIA HF G10 or the vixia hf100? (with war. preferrably)

ANyway....these are my current questions, and I have found this site more helpful than people I know on the phone. You guys seem to know what you are talking about, and it is a comfort to recieve input from those with experience.
I only hope I can figure this all out by Christmas. I am trying to get an order in and part of a present from a family member is to mildly contribute to my next film project...so I am rushing. lol
Thanks so much. Sorry for the ignorance...lol, but I am still learning.
Peace

Don't screw around with 35mm adapters. They open up a world of headaches and aren't worth the hassle. If you're sold on the need for DoF get a DSLR or a large sensor camcorder with interchangeable lenses like the VG20. Don't be afraid of DSLRs because they are still cameras as well; they offer the best value by far for video. I have taken less than 200 photos with my GH2, but have used it as my main video camera for a year. (Well, now it's second to the Red Epic, but it's definitely my go-to camera for under $10,000.)

Last edited:
Dude,.,,I got lotsa people telling me to try to get a HDSLR or DSLR like camera. They are saying FORGET CAMCORDERS if they have a smaller sensor, and just get a camera that shoots video with a bigger sensor.

Can you truly use this to shoot a movie with a good cinematic look?
If so...they are so cheaper and I am interested. What lens would I have to buy? What are the drawbacks (besides sound) from shooting on a DSLR? or (hdslr)
Can you recommend the best ones for me to consider? Someone else told me a Canon 600D rebel t3i....or a 60D.
Please write back! I simply want to get a good one with a good lens that can achieve a cinematic quality, and I have no problem learning to do it with Adobe or something...color correction...ect...ect....

The search feature is definitely your friend. This subject has been exhausted here. Which might be why people aren't RE-typing what they have already posted.

HDSLR - there's a search that might turn up something :)

Back