View Full Version : risks of submitting before you're ready...

brianluce
12-04-2011, 01:45 PM
So I think with a little luck I can meet the Dec 9th cut off for the Santa Barbara Film Festival. Best case scenario is I'll have a less than optimal cut. Need more time. SB Film Fest is fairly high profile, so the odds are long, but, I live in SB and thought it'd be cool to enter it -- so I'll try and meet deadline and submit my first shot at narrative film production.
Question: Aside from rejection and the money, what other risks and potential praftfalls are associated with submitting a film to a festival before your film is in top form. Again, I'm only scrambling because it's my hometown fest.

Thanks in advance.

indietalk
12-04-2011, 01:47 PM
If you are selected, just give your updated version to them on the required projection format.

Flicker Pictures
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
GITB at SBIFF! GITB at SBIFF!

brianluce
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
GITB at SBIFF! GITB at SBIFF!

Would you still be so enthusiastic knowing Lawson will NOT be credited?
Had a few issues over international distro, had to cut him loose.

Cracker Funk
12-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Rejection is not a risk. Only thing you risk is money. If this is a festival you'd really like to get into, submit the best film you've got, and give them a detailed (but succinct) list of what work is still to be done.

Good luck!

indietalk
12-04-2011, 07:51 PM
I would not point anything unfinished out, you are submitting as a finished film, not a WIP. Just hope you get in, and submit you best work for projection.

Cracker Funk
12-04-2011, 07:54 PM
I would not point anything unfinished out, you are submitting as a finished film, not a WIP. Just hope you get in, and submit you best work for projection.

In my experience, they usually ask for a list of what's yet to be done, if it's a WIP, and I assumed that's what it was being submitted as. But I guess I shouldn't make a blanket-statement that they all want that. It should answer this question on their FAQ page.

Cracker Funk
12-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Just checked their FAQ. They take WIP submissions, and they do want a list of what's yet to be done. They also seem to prefer local filmmakers, which bodes well for you, Brian.

u6ALySsPXt0

:)

indietalk
12-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Right, some accept WIPs as long as it will be finished by fest time. Check it out and follow their instructions. But if it is 95% I wouldn't even bother calling it a WIP, they may accept, say, 100 finished films, and 10 WIPs because of the risk, and then that puts you in the smaller acceptance group. See what I mean? But I don't know that for a fact! Every fest is different and there's no way to tell how they select unless you know someone.

Cracker Funk
12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Right, some accept WIPs as long as it will be finished by fest time. Check it out and follow their instructions. But if it is 95% I wouldn't even bother calling it a WIP, they may accept, say, 100 finished films, and 10 WIPs because of the risk, and then that puts you in the smaller acceptance group. See what I mean? But I don't know that for a fact! Every fest is different and there's no way to tell how they select unless you know someone.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I guess the decision also depends on how close he is to being completely finished. Cheers.