Public Access Financing

Uranium City

Pro Member
indiePRO
Here's an avenue for financing your films that'd I'd not considered before:

We just got a grant from the Lansing Community Media Center (public access television) for $10,000 in new equipment in exchange for producing 12 hours of original programming over the next year.

They had up to $120,000 to give away but only 10 folks submitted proposals.

It'll be hard work making 12 1-hour shows over the next year, but we've got no shortage of ideas.

Our proposal outlined the show we will do, a video version of the photocopied 'zine we did in high school, called The Limited Appeal. It'll be a lot of monologues, a lot of panel discussions on short films,/music/art installations/etc, iterations of my Atomic Reel series, etc. Basically we'll be doing what we want, on our terms, telling our stories, with new equipment, on television. Limited audience, to be sure, but the material will have limited appeal.

For the $10,000 we are getting some serious lights, a T2i to augment our 5D, a GoPro Hero, new mics and recorders, new sticks, and a few other things.

Anyway, check your local community access organization and see if they've got any money to throw around. Might be worth it!

love me some public access

Congrats! That rocks!

Public Access has gotten me more hits to my websites than YouTube and Vimeo combined. I do believe the television business model is withering away, but it's currently still more dominant, especially to the over 30 crowd, than the Internet as a way to stumble upon a show or movie.

People are channel surfers. If they see something good, they'll stop and watch. Make something good and people will watch it.

Nice. Just tried googling our local public access info, and it looks like it was shut down haha. Oh well.

Yeah, I'm finding that in many places, AT&T paid off a lot of politicians with donations in 2008-2009 to get the state laws changed so that they could lease those channels for a higher rate and drop public access. It worked in several states including Texas.

Read this fascinating story - http://www.laweekly.com/2008-12-11/news/shutting-down-public-access-tv/

By "we" I'm assuming that would be the Johnston Bros. Creative Movie Making Collective? Kudos and congrats!! That is so cool. :)

Thanks! Indeed, my brother and I. He is the shooter and the producer. I write and direct. I can barely turn my Vixia on, much less focus it. But I'm learnin'.

Part of our grant proposal involved describing how we would care for and insure the new equipment, where we would store it and lock it, etc. I should post it as a link for reference.

Very nice man. That's for taking the time to share. This thread has actually had me researching grants of all kinds and found some very cool ones for Texas residents I'll be applying for in 2012!

Really appreciate it, thanks!

Back