Good DSLR for $700-900

Hey guys and girls, I was wondering if you guys could tell me what is the best or close to the best DSLR at around the price for $700-900 I'm looking to save money from my summer job so that I can create a great short story or a film. I will be writing it and making sure everything is picture perfect for it. I am only 15 so money doesn't come very easy for me.

I've had a nice time with the Nikon D7000 - I can't compare it to any of the other cameras in the Canon family, but it's been through some hellish conditions and come out like a boss. Nikon has some great prime lenses that you could use with it, as well. With only the body, you could likely get for $750 or lower. If you're going for a Nikon, it's the way to go.

Hey man, if. You dig through some of the similar threads here you'll see everyone that's asked has been given this advice: don't forget all the accessories. If you spend all of your money on a camera, the best you can do is a one take, shaky handheld, silent (or really really bad audio) movie. You'll need at minimum a tripod, microphone/boom and with a dslr you'll need an external recorder.

You can start with less and focus on different things, but if your $700-900 is intended for an intro package you may want a less expensive camera and set some of it aside for the extras.

As far as which is best, you have three replies with different answers haha. They'll all shoot good looking video with shallow DOF. Some have better features in one aspect, others in others. Not a solid answer, but yeah man. Good luck shopping!

Thanks for everyone posting here and what I' m leaning to is the t2i and then I will get some extra money later for the other accessories. Just want to say thanks again for everyone who posted. I hope on talking to you all very soon.

Hey, PM me Im selling my t2i, letus hawk, battery grip, 50mm 1.8, a toknia 28 to something zoom, the kit lens and one nikon manual lens with adapter. I have 4 or 5 m42 adapters too. Lots of stuff, ready to make a movie. All that probably will be at the top of your price range though..

Plus its already hacked with Magic Lantern!

It has a small scratch on the LCD sorry bout that..

Here's my reason:

http://vimeo.com/32697135

The hack turned this thing into a serious powerhouse.
Very cool video.. So are you talking about higher bitrate with the hack? Can't you do the same with qsscale using magic lantern hack on t2i?
Also this video was shot using sigma 30mm which costs about 480$ on amazon...
Wont that be makign some difference as well? I only ask cz I'm also a prospective buyer my friend who just shot his feature on a sony hd camcorder and wants to progress to dslr world intelligently.. :)

Very cool video.. So are you talking about higher bitrate with the hack? Can't you do the same with qsscale using magic lantern hack on t2i?

Not even in the same league, as weird as that sounds to say.

Also this video was shot using sigma 30mm which costs about 480$ on amazon...

30/1.4 is a great lens. Worth the purchase. You have to buy glass one way or another, but at least with the GH2 nearly any lens will work with an adapter.

But, remember, at the end of the day its what you like: I've used a lot of cameras, the 5D barely cuts it for me. The rest of the Canons are a no-go. GH2 or 5D for me, but that's just me!

CHoose what you like in the end. :D

The general argument on the interwebs is whether a GH2 is better than a 5DMK2. It's (GH2) the super hot DSLR at the moment because of the bitrate hack and the mirrorless design that means you can pretty much adapt any lens to it.

The general argument on the interwebs is whether a GH2 is better than a 5DMK2. It's (GH2) the super hot DSLR at the moment because of the bitrate hack and the mirrorless design that means you can pretty much adapt any lens to it.

I think they've got two different images altogether, and can benefit anyone who knows how to put them to use properly. Those in between (t2i, 7D, Sony's cams etc) are what I would not be spending money on. But again, everyone has a preference.

Having been sitting on the back row of this wonderful IT classroom and certainly not involved in actually using any of the DSLRs, within the defining limits of this DSLR category the GH2 is repeatedly "THE" hot shhhstuff camera-to-shoot-video on.
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh2/specifications.html

At this intended level of production there's no getting around requiring a whole separate audio set-up, so... moot issue.

Just an observation.
GL.

PS, being 15 and all, having fun in high school, shooting a short or two or three or more, you might be better off just getting a Canon Vixia M40 with many of the required fundamental specs and at half the price.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_270662_-1

The remaining budget should likely be spent on a Tascam DR-100 for external audio pick up.
http://tascam.com/product/dr-100/
Then for Christmas and birthday acquire a decent shotgun mic, boom pole and XLR cables.

Without the external audio set-up there's kinda little point to getting a "nice" DSLR for shooting shorts or otherwise.
Maybe all voice overs?

Last edited:
The GH2 has a stereo mic, and a stereo in. With a small mixer you can record two separate tracks of audio straight into the camera with very usable results. It would be adequate until you decided to step up your audio gear.

Back