• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Magix Music Maker MX

I think it sucks but.....evryone usses there one program's. I like to usse Reason and renoise. I dont use fruityloops, but some friends of mine are realy good on it.

I Like trackers....but i dont know......always use the programs jou realy best in.

Also....did jou know, Jou can start ussing renoise for free?

I use Logic because you can pull your video directly into your composition (crucial for getting the timing right) and because it's a full-blown composing program.

(Trackers and I have never got along very well.)

If you are making music just to make music, then yeah, it doesn't matter what software you use; just whatever works for you.

However, for film scoring, I agree with escher, you need something you can import video into. Most DAWs these days will let you do it. I use Sonar (for the time being; I abhor the new version and need to switch, but a good DAW is not cheap), used to use Cubase, both do well with Video. On the Mac side, Logic is good, Digital Performer I've heard is great, and of course there's ProTools on either.

I've heard good things about Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/), which licenses for $60, but haven't used it since the first version. Planning on checking it out though, so if you want a more detailed opinion, give me a couple days!

I, too, am a Sonar used and recently upgraded to X1, and yea, it's a bit of a mess. Now that Protools is hardware independent, I'm thinking it's time to join the rest of the post-audio work. Geez, I hate learning a new DAW.

If you are making music just to make music, then yeah, it doesn't matter what software you use; just whatever works for you.

However, for film scoring, I agree with escher, you need something you can import video into. Most DAWs these days will let you do it. I use Sonar (for the time being; I abhor the new version and need to switch, but a good DAW is not cheap), used to use Cubase, both do well with Video. On the Mac side, Logic is good, Digital Performer I've heard is great, and of course there's ProTools on either.

I've heard good things about Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/), which licenses for $60, but haven't used it since the first version. Planning on checking it out though, so if you want a more detailed opinion, give me a couple days!

I, too, am a Sonar used and recently upgraded to X1, and yea, it's a bit of a mess. Now that Protools is hardware independent, I'm thinking it's time to join the rest of the post-audio work. Geez, I hate learning a new DAW.

Glad I'm not alone on that. It's a shame, 8.5 was AWESOME for MIDI editing. I only switched because the Virus control software wouldn't work with 8.5. If I could downgrade, I would. It's a shame, really, audio in X1 is pretty good, and some of the plug-in channel strips sound pretty awesome (the tube saturation saves me bouncing tracks through an external pre). My main gripe is the "smart tool"...which does everything that the normal drawing tool used to do...except draw. So you're constantly switching tools. Blah. Don't want to spend the money for Protools, but yeah, I might have to switch myself (though oddly enough, protools is NOT a 64-bit application yet)

cubase vs. logic

Hi, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm considering switching from Cubase (after using it for about eight years) to Logic and was wondering what you think about the two - since you have used both of them. Is Logic really so much better? If it is better - is it just the general look&feel or there's something in particular?
Thanks

Hi, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm considering switching from Cubase (after using it for about eight years) to Logic and was wondering what you think about the two - since you have used both of them. Is Logic really so much better? If it is better - is it just the general look&feel or there's something in particular?
Thanks

Well, I don't run a Mac, so I haven't used Logic in years, but some of my friends do, and I've poked around on it a bit. The two seem pretty similar, actually, once you get past UI differences. These days they're both 64-bit. Cubase, of course, uses VST plugins and Logic uses AU plugins, so you might lose some compatibility there.

If I did run a Mac, I would run Digital Performer, no question. Particularly if you're doing work with video and MIDI, it rocks.

...kinda the way Sonar USED to be...grumble grumble....

How is Digital Performer in the arena of orchestra-type instruments? Logic is good but starting to show its age and Apple has shown no signs of updating it. On the other hand, the Orchestra Add-on Pack for logic has some absolutely beautiful and realistic-sounding instruments that I wouldn't not be able to just leave behind. Any replacement program I buy would have to sound just as good or better.

Well, if you want decent orchestral sounds, you should buy a library independent of the DAW. I currently use EastWest Quantam Leap Gold (http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra) which you can get for around $500. You can get some decent sounds out of it, and it'll give you a full orchestra to start with, upgrading pieces from there. I hear the Hollywood Strings collection is astounding, and they've just added a brass collection. Definitely on my list for when I have more cash!

I do know that Howard Shore used it for LOTR. Obviously at his level, he's composing and giving sheet music to the orchestra (or passing the file to the copyist/assistant/etc), but it does speak highly towards its video integration and MIDI editing capabilities!

Sorry to hear that they're not updating Logic. That's always frustrating, but on the other hand, if it still works for you, you don't NEED to update.

Back