Englishman in LA

I'm getting my first opportunity to visit LA in a few weeks. It's family thing/holiday of sorts.

Can anyone suggest two things that a middle aged English indie film maker in LA for the first time absolutely must do?

Well if you're with your family you absolutely must do Disneyland (skip California Adventure) in Anaheim, south of LA. Another theme park that doesn't get as much attention is Knott's Berry Farm - yes, the people who make the jam, this used to be their farm but now it is owned by a new group.... tons of fun rollercoasters and other things to do, and during the summer it is right across the street froma water park. And then right down the street from knott's is the Wax Museum. Of course there are a million things to do in LA from going to the Mann's theater to the new Kodak theater to taking a stroll down the "miracle mile" of Wilshire, where incidentally a lot of small filmmaker shops and such are located. take the wife for a stroll along Sunset Blvd, or Rodeo Dr., there are beautiful beaches up near LA from Santa Monica to Venice to down here in Orange County. Oh yeah, you may want to drive around Orange County a bit just to see what the fuss is all about. While doing so it is helpful to imagine OC was just beanfield and orange groves just 50 years ago.

Also it might be worth your while to see if there is a premiere happening while you're here, that is an experience in itself. The kids may want to see Walt Disney studios, and of course that is just right around the corner from NBC, WB, etc. Most of which have a guided tour. Also, if you want to go watch a taping of a show out here, theres all kinds of things going on, I've watched several shows at Viacom/CBS like The Price is Right and the Bill Maher show... but you'll need to get those tickets in advance. If you do go to the Viacom studios, right next door (within walking distance) is the world famous Farmer's Market, which is always fun to check out. And don't forget to check out the Hollywood sign!

Drive up north of LA to to Santa barbara for a step back in time to a really fanstastic quiet early 20th century style architecture and landscape (and nice beaches). Drive south of OC about a hundred miles and check out San Diego - absolutely beautiful city/county in its own right, also home to the SanDiegoZoo and the San Diego Wild Animal Park and Sea World (if you do the wild animal park - it is highly rewarding but there is a ton of walking involved). Plus in San diego there is the Fisherman's Village that is just perfect for those afternoon strolls near the beach to shop or eat.

And really most of those three areas I mentioned above have a lot of night life but since you are with the family I don't think youll be going clubbing or anything like that. :wink:

Anything else specifically you had a question on? Here in LA/OC the question is not What to do, but what not to do? :D

Back