The New Canon Cinema EOS c300

Anyone else reading the liveblog of Canon's Hollywood event announcing their new Cinema camera? Looks pretty cool though no specs yet. The RED Scarlett announcement should be coming up any minute now, too. Big night for indie filmmaking!

ETA: Just noticed that the RED announcement will be a 6PM PST.

Last edited:
So, I wanna see RED Scarlet.

The Cinema Eos looks nice though!
I guess it will be around 10k maybe?! Probably a direct competitor with the Sony F3, probs a bit cheaper!

They brought Martin Scorsese in to talk aout it... pretty cool.

Want to find out more about the codecs and what not, $16k doesn't seem too bad right now.

Of course, if RED launches a sub $10k, 3-5k resolution camera with similar features AND they can live up to manufacturing and shipping deadlines (which is something they've never been able to do) then, well, yeah...

Tonight will tell. Either way, great new for low budget guys. No-budget, outta luck, but hey, it takes budget to be lucky haha.

$16.000 camera.
4K sensor, only 1080p recording
720p 60p
Release: January 2012

If it really only records 1080p, then I can't help but ask myself, "what was the point?" I'll just stick with a DSLR...

I'm more excited for the RED Scarlett announcement tonight. And I'm crossing my fingers for a sub-$10k price tag. If that's the case, then I'll probably be able to swing one for my feature next year.

Specs:

Single 8.3 megapixel 2160×3840 Super-35 CMOS sensor (4K resolution) with Digic DV III processor
Canon XF codec (50Mbps 4:2:2 1080p30 MPEG2 MXF) records to two Compact Flash card slots
Canon Log gamma, SDI, compact body, Custom Presets and menus similar to Canon XF series
Exposure and focus control are completely manual — there is no AE or AF on either camera
Sold as a system, incl. LCD monitor / XLR audio unit, side grip, top handle, batt. & charger
10 bit 4:2:2 external (not sure yet)
4:2:2 8bit 50mb/s MXF wrapped Mpeg 2 to CF internal
24P, 25P, 30P, 1080p
60P at 720
2 CF card slots
4″ LCD monitor
XLR inputs on the handle
HDMI & HD/SDI out
SD card for stills
Time Code with Genlock
Availability: Jan. 2012; Price: appx. $16,000 USD (for C300)

New prime lenses announced, which resolve up to 4K resolution (EF-Mount only):

Canon Prime Lens CTZ-029 (24mm)
Canon Prime Lens CTZ-030 (50mm)
Canon Prime Lens CTZ-031 (85mm)

Already announced earlier this year:

Canon Zoom Lens CN-E14.5-60mm T2.6 L S (wide zoom, EF version)
Canon Zoom Lens CN-E14.5-60mm T2.6 L SP (wide zoom, PL version)
Canon Zoom Lens CN-E30-300mm T2.95-3.7 L S (telephoto zoom, EF version)
Canon Zoom Lens CN-E30-300mm T2.95-3.7 L SP (telephoto zoom, PL version)

Scarlet's supposed to be [around] 15K~

RED isn't giving anything away for free, but Canon just made their price hike much easier to stomach for a lot of people.

Surprised me that anyone thought that Canon was going to release anything under 12K. Surprises me more than anyone thinks RED will, either.

Kinda is what it is: want quality, pay for it or wait four more years.

They brought Martin Scorsese in to talk aout it... pretty cool.

Want to find out more about the codecs and what not, $16k doesn't seem too bad right now.

Of course, if RED launches a sub $10k, 3-5k resolution camera with similar features AND they can live up to manufacturing and shipping deadlines (which is something they've never been able to do) then, well, yeah...

Tonight will tell. Either way, great new for low budget guys. No-budget, outta luck, but hey, it takes budget to be lucky haha.

4K, 2/3", 120FPS, RED mini primes avail

Prolly won't get out of the door until December/January

"I'm guessing"

4K, 2/3", 120FPS, RED mini primes avail

Prolly won't get out of the door until December/January

"I'm guessing"

Haha, RED's never met a deadline ever. They even pushed their conference back from 4PST today till 6.

Still, when you sell what they do at the prices they offer, you can get away with it huh?

Haha, RED's never met a deadline ever. They even pushed their conference back from 4PST today till 6.

Still, when you sell what they do at the prices they offer, you can get away with it huh?

Cultified~

That's what it is. I'm not a member, but I wear the EPIC badge: that camera is amazing, and between it and Alexa I kinda don't want to bother with anything else.

Not to say that I won't if I have to.

Thank Canon for chasing Sony's tail, Panasonic for not being cut-throat enough and RED for talking too much. :D

Tbh, The Canon will be $20k

Body's gonna fall into 15K STREET PRICE range, but three weeks ago I was told 12K~15K.

So far, everything that I've been fed from some friends that work closely with some of those guys that shot the films is accurate, with the exception of the price tag.

Feel sorry for them if they try to lock MSRP higher than that.

A little blurb from a famous director it'nt gonna sell that camera.

Last edited:
I know resolution is far from everything, but when there's a company doing 4k at the same price or less as your 1080p you need to revaluate your approach. Especially when the codec is better too.

Yeah dude. That's just ridiculous.

I know P. BLoom said earlier that 20K was it, if canon locks MSRP at 19.5K I'll be shocked.

These dudes need to stop chasing tails and find their own path.

Sad.

Back