• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound Design Project - Looking for Material To Work To

Hi there, I'm a university student studying at the University of Teesside in the north east of England and i'm doing my final year case study on sound design and post production.

I'm looking for some material to work to for my project. My first choice would be a monster/creature movie short or something similar. I'm trying to approach this project as a 'working sound designer' so hope to work to a brief produced by the director of the movie. The idea is i can then receive feedback based on the brief and this feedback will help determine whether or not i have achieved my goals and the wishes of the director.

I hope someone can help me out with this. Apologies if i've posted this in the wrong place :blush:

Thanks in advance.

D Kirby

There are literally thousands of public domain films, shorts, commercials, home movies, etc. on the Prelinger Archives.

http://www.archive.org/details/prelinger

You may not find monsters or creatures, but then again...

Creature/monster sounds are a lot of fun, until the director doesn't like them, and then the director does but the producer doesn't, then the producer does but the director doesn't...

Welcome to the "soundie" family. It's fun to do it all yourself, but once you're into it start finding out what your specialty should be. It can be hard to do. I love cutting sound FX. I especially love going out into the field to capture sound FX and ambiences. I'm pretty good at Foley - especially on a budget - but doing it by myself is a real PITA. As a former touring/studio musician and recording engineer my music editing skills are the freaking bomb. If I ever have the choice I would end up as a dialog editor or ADR recordist - I was always particularly good at getting great performances out of singers, and recently (last ten years) getting believable ADR performances out of actors inexperienced with the process. (Actually I really want to record ADR or Foley because I get so damned lonely sitting by myself editing dialog or sound FX all the time. :lol::D:P)

For raw sound resources: http://www.freesound.org (pay attention to the Creative Commons licenses - you must attribute)

You can also go record your own. Frequently 'creature' and FX sounds are normal sounds sped up, slowed down, remixed and played with. In the original Star Wars the sound of the hand blasters was a telephone pole guy wire in the Tunisian desert being struck a blow; the "Star Destroyer" was NY City traffic recorded through a vacuum cleaner tube. Some of the creatures were mixes of elephant trumpets, lion roars, and other stuff.

Last edited:
Back