Logos and brand names

I know this has sort of been covered before, but I want to clear a few things up.

In my short film I have mistakenly caught a few brand names and logos.

One is of a major skate company's hat - the words are visible at some points. Another is an emblem on the front of a car. A license plate that isn't mine...and a few others.

In none of these situations is the viewer really going to be drawn to them...but they are there. Should I have them removed in After Effects?

I want to send my film to festivals and it would be nice for it to be picked up for distribution or television. I may even show it online. That being said, am I going to have to get these removed eventually should something great happen with my short film? May the film not be accepted at festivals because of this?

I just want to be safe but also don't want to make the investment to clean this stuff up.

Thanks for any advice.

Yes this stuff will prevent you from being exepted into a film festival!

Actually, I don't think festivals give a crap about random logos. We've got a resident festival-guru here, perhaps he'll chime in?

Dude, when did short films start getting picked up for distribution? The only instance I know of this is those shorts that are nominated for an Oscar, for Best Short Film. Do you really think you fall into that category? If so, yes, display of logos can get you into trouble. If you're like the rest of us, it really doesn't matter.

Then again, there was this movie called "Logorama". It was nominated for an Oscar, it got distribution, and I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling they didn't get clearance from all of the companies represented in the video.

http://vimeo.com/10149605?utm_medium=nxt.st-mailto

Festivals is not your worry (been to many with popular music on film soundtracks - 0 budget films), distribution is more your worry.

I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling they didn't get clearance from all of the companies represented in the video.

I definitely CAN say for sure: they most certainly did NOT get clearance for a single logo or character used in Logorama. In fact, it was a matter of pride for the filmmakers that they didn't. Besides, do you think that in a million years McDonald's would have gone along with Ronald being portrayed as a foul-mouthed mass-murderer? :lol:

Re: the OP's question, someone posted here before that they'd been told by an entertainment attorney that logos visible in the background of a shot as a natural part of a setting are a non-issue for indies. Logos on hats, tee-shirts, etc., I personally would avoid because then you're crossing over from trademark into copyright territory.

Back