Help, I need urgent advice.

I shot two days for my short film this weekend. Day 2 was going very well, we shot in a abandoned warehouse, I was pretty much a happy director up until we started loosing sunlight and had to rush through the last two shots. Basically I need opinions on this.

The very last shot was a Medium shot with my Actress standing over my actor stabbing him. I choose not to show the stabbing on camera. The shot didn't go as well as planned and we can't re-shoot at the location, but I need to get that shot again. In what ways can I go about this.

Can you assemble the two actors in an available location, recreate similar ambient lighting or wait for the similar time of day+environmental conditions, then re-shoot overhead looking down, close-up, so that the overall environment isn't in the essential cut?

Also, consider re-creating the same and just use an extreme close-up on the point of impact itself with wide open aperture and small as possible DOF, again to minimize the environment's impact on the image.

In 109 they is a sequence where

we see an object on a table.
We see a guy reach down out of frame.
We see a closeup as the object moves up through frame in his hand in front of his shirt
We see closeup as he holds the object up by his face.

1, 2, and 4 were shot in a motel room location.
3 was shot in my living room 10 days later when we realized we needed it to get the sequence to edit together right.

If I didn't tell you, you would never know.

Movie magic! figure out something that works for your situation.

In 109 they is a sequence where

we see an object on a table.
We see a guy reach down out of frame.
We see a closeup as the object moves up through frame in his hand in front of his shirt
We see closeup as he holds the object up by his face.

1, 2, and 4 were shot in a motel room location.
3 was shot in my living room 10 days later when we realized we needed it to get the sequence to edit together right.

If I didn't tell you, you would never know.

Movie magic! figure out something that works for your situation.

Situations like that are one of the fantastic things about filmmaking. Same with my movie. One of my actors couldn't make it on set one day and we needed a shot of him walking past the camera, then the villain peeking from behind a tree. Thankfully his character is wearing a hood. So we threw the hood onto one of my other actors and he did the shot for us. You'd never be able to tell unless I told you.

Back