Why are film cameras manual wind?

I have used briefly a vhs video camera and a 16mm film camera. I was told that even modern film making uses wind up cameras. And that these cameras cannot be made to be electronic. But the question is why? Making the film winder electronic will not affect the filming itself. Why can't manufactures make a combined video-film camera, one that is electronic in every way excepting for the filming itself?

Whomever told you that modern film cameras are wound lied. I think they still make some wind up 16mm cameras, but every camera I’ve ever used has very heavy batteries that have a short life. If everything were still wind up, there couldn’t be accurate sync code generated for audio. All the major cameras (Arri, Panavision, etc) are all electric. JDC cameras has developed a new thing that attaches where the magazine goes and captures the image directly to video. They just shot a film with it. That way you get the high quality picture of the film camera and lenses, but don’t have to pay for developing and transfers. I haven’t seen any pictures from it though. Now, I don’t think you can retrofit a wind up to be electric, but I might be wrong. Maybe that’s what that person meant.

Back