dSLR as filmmaking tool

Hey guys.

I'm currently in my second year of university and I'm researching the use of DSLRs in filmmaking/as a filmmaking tool. As part of that, I'd love to get the perspective of people who have experience using a dSLR for their productions. If any of you could spare a couple of minutes and answer the following questions for me, I'd be eternally grateful!

1. What DSLR do you use for filmmaking?
2. How long have you used it for?
3. What are the advantages of DSLR filmmaking?
4. What are the disadvantages?
5. How do you overcome said disadvantages?
6. What equipment (lenses, support, etc.) to do use along with the DSLR?
7. How many films have you produced using a DSLR? (Links to either full films or trailers would be appreciated!)

And, if there is anything esle you wanted to add, please feel free.

Thanks in advance!

T2i canon

for about a year (damn time flew by!)

great image for cheap price

lack of good sound

by getting an external audio recorder

50mm 1.4 lens
18-55mm 3.4 lens
100mm 1.8 lens
tripod
diy shoulder mount

7. How many films have you produced using a DSLR? (Links to either full films or trailers would be appreciated!)
little more than a dozen. All of them are on youtube.com/dlevanchuk

Hey guys. 1. What DSLR do you use for filmmaking?
I have used the Panasonic GH1, Canon 60D, and Panasonic GH2 on various short films. The GH cameras are technically EVIL(Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) cameras, but they tend to have the same capabilities and are lumped together with DSLRs.

I started with the GH1 in 2010. My camera of choice now is the GH2.
The features they offer at such a low price point. Large sensor, interchangeable lenses, better image quality than any other camera under $5000. I also shoot using the JVC GY-HM100. While I love the GY-HM100, it's image quality simply does not live up to the GH2 or other DSLRs in most situations.
Jello, Moire, Aliasing, lack of usable built-in audio, form factor not looking "professional"
Shoot around the disadvantages, record audio separately, mount on a fancy looking rig to impress clients.
I used the 14-42mm kit lens and 20mm f1.7 on the GH cameras, and I also have a set of vintage Nikon lenses. On the 60D I shot mainly with the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 and the 28mm f/1.8.
I've made 3 short films, and also used the cameras for various commercial projects. I don't have any links at the moment due to festival restrictions.
And, if there is anything esle you wanted to add, please feel free.
DSLRs offer amazing results for the cost, but still require a lot of additional equipment to get good results.

Last edited:
I have a hacked GH1 (which technically isn't a DSLR due to the lack of mirror, but is generally lumped in with DSLRs).

I bought it earlier this year, sometime in the summer I think.

Versatile. Cheap. Exceptional picture quality for the price range.

Rolling shutter and horrible sound.

For rolling shutter it's all about controlled camera movements and post-production fixes. For sound, using an external sound recorder and microphone.

I have a number of vintage lenses: Helios 44-2 58mm f2, JCPenney 28mm f2.8, Sears 55mm f2.8, Sears 135mm f2.8. Also a Holga plastic wide angle lens from Hong Kong. For support I have a Cowboy Studios rig and a Pearstone VT-2100 tripod (which, as an aside, is probably the best inexpensive tripod I've ever seen).

I've done a lot of test footage, and a couple of scenes for a short with the GH1. I've also done a little nature film for a contest which isn't available online yet.

1. Canon 7D
2. Two short films over the course of last year
3. Ability to select different lenses, much more control over how light exposes an image which leads to a far greater arsenal of potential shots
4. Aliasing, rolling shutter
5. By knowing what the camera is capable of and what it isn't. We had a shot last year that was to be through a screen door, but that would have looked horrible due to the 7D's limitations, so we had to re-write it in another location. There isn't a drawback that can't be worked around if you and your DP know how to operate the camera
6. External monitor for focusing, monopods and tripods, and a slew of lenses
7. One completed, currently on a festival tour. Trailers and other info here: Mr. Henderson. Another currently in post production with nothing available to look at yet.

Canon 5D MK2

About 9 months

Image quality for the price.

Moire, aliasing, rolling shutter, form factor.

Every camera including the most high end ones have limitations. You have to know them and plan accordingly. Don't put your actress in a pattered dress that will cause Moire, don't do whip pans, etc...

Manfrotto 503HDV tripod
Zacuto DSLR baseplate with front and rear rails.
SmalHD DP-6 5.6" monitor
RedRock follow Focus
Assortment of Vintage lens (mostly Pentax with some Yashica and Vivatar thrown in) from the late 1960's and early 1970's

Shot my first film on DSLR about 4 months ago. The quality of the image compared to the HVX200A and redrock adapter for Nikon lenses I was using is amazing.

7. How many films have you produced using a DSLR?

1. Canon 7D and 1D Mk IV
2. Couple of years (have now sold both)
3. Cost, especially for a Super 35-sized sensor. Size seems like an advantage, but the camera usually grew larger than our Red One.
4. (a) focus - an external monitor is necessary to judge focus, and on a Canon 5D the output is so bad that even that doesn't do a lot of good.
(b) moiré problems can be terrible
(c) tinkertoy aspect to adding accessories and changing lenses. The cameras are so small that everything gets in the way of everything else.
(e) rolling shutter
(e) sound. An external recorder is almost necessary. Even using the little 1/8" connector is asking for trouble.
5. External monitor, Zoom recorder, and eventually we just sold the cameras and bought Sony FS-100.
6. We used the same Zeiss primes and short zooms (Nikon mounts) that we have for our Reds.
7. Our cameras were mostly used for commercials and corporate material. I've also had some experience supporting others (mostly 5Ds).

I've worked with a few DPs who really had good rigs for using the HDSLRs, but they had to have their own stuff with them - nothing else really worked well. Vincent LaForet and Shane Hurlbut are the go-to guys on this topic. You should definitely read LaForet's website and blog.

Canon 5D, 7D, T2i

Used last fall.

Cheap and lightweight. Great HD image quality for a low cost.

Fluttering effect on striped surfaces. You have to be careful of getting a weird "moving" stripes effect on some shirts, curtains or couches.

Be careful what you film.

Several different lens. Can't remember them all.

One Feature in post. Sorry don't have a trailer link yet.

Canon 7D and Canon t2i

Couple years or so

Ease in achieving "cinematic" appearance (ie. 24p, shallow depth-of-field...), ability to change lenses.
Access to old (usually inexpensive) manual lenses via cheap converter mounts (ie. M42-to-EOS).

A) Rolling shutter (common to most large CMOS sensors)
B) Moire (due to how the camera skips lines when reading the sensor)
C) Form-factor/appearance (if used alone, people think you're just taking their picture. It doesn't look "serious".)
D) On-camera sound (but I generally wouldn't capture sound on ANY camera)

A) Handle the camera carefully (ie. avoid lots of hand-held stuff).
B) Avoid certain detailed patterns/clothing, avoid lines that are at slight diagonals (power lines, etc.)
C) Simply adding a matte box can help (http://www.indisystem.com/matte-box/ ...and others. Mine's actually from an Indian eBay seller, and I REALLY like it.)
In addition to one of the many mounting rigs available now.
D) Use a field recorder (I use an Oade-modified Marantz PMD-660. Though if I were to purchase one now, it would be the PMD-661 for 24-bit capability. http://www.oade.com)

Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Super Takumar 50mm f1.4
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
Canon kit lens
indiFocus ULTRAcompact, indiFocus mini

I've shot four music videos, a couple of promos, mini-docs, experimental bits, and am currently shooting my own film.
Examples: http://vimeo.com/frankladner/videos

Last edited:
Back