Canon 5D MK II question...

The other night me and my lady friend were out taking some nighttime photos, we both have the 5D MK II, I noticed that she was in live view mode shooting stills at like 0.5"? I tried to get my shutter to go lower, however I found that I could not get my shutter lower than 1/30.

Neither of us could figure out how or why hers would go lower, yet mine would not?

Any input or suggestions?

The other night me and my lady friend were out taking some nighttime photos, we both have the 5D MK II, I noticed that she was in live view mode shooting stills at like 0.5"? I tried to get my shutter to go lower, however I found that I could not get my shutter lower than 1/30.

Neither of us could figure out how or why hers would go lower, yet mine would not?

Any input or suggestions?

Live View is different from Movie Mode in that respect… I can't go any lower than 1/30 in Movie Mode, but if I'm in Manual and switch to Live View I've got the usual range of shutter speeds.

This may sound stupid...

but isn't Live view the only way to be in movie mode? is there a difference?

Hmm, thinking about it the 5D works slightly differently to the 550D - I can use the mode dial to go into Movie Mode, or the record button to go into Live View while in any stills mode. Not so sure now, I'm afraid!

There's live view for photos too, you can use it or the eyepiece. Video mode is only through the screen on back.

Live View's only on the screen, you can't use the eyepiece with it because the mirror has to flip up.

I thought that the live view/video mode were the same thing on the 5D, and to record video you simply hit the "set" button on back and to snap a still in live view you use ze shutter??

Therefore I was baffled at why her camera went down to 0.5" in live view while mine would not go less than 1/30. We used the same lens, aperture, etc.... is there something I'm missing?

Back