Follow Focus won't work with T2I kit lens

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this forum and hopefully someone can help.

For some time now I have been putting together a video rig using my Canon T2i and kit lens. Due to limited budget, I have opted not to purchase a better lens for the time being in order to concentrate on having a functional rig with which to learn and gain experience with, (the better lenses coming later). The T2i is mounted on a rail system with a Zacuto Z Finder, Matte Box, Follow Focus, and DSLR Cage.

My problem is that I am having difficulty getting the follow focus to work while utilizing the matte box and kit lens. The inner barrel at the front of the lens travels in and out while zooming, and rotates during focusing. Manuel Zooming is achieved by turning the outside of the lens barrel, and Manuel focus is achieved by turning the very front rim of the lens. The lens rim at the front is only about 3/16 of an inch wide. The width of the Follow Focus ring gear is about ½ an inch wide, which means the ring gear sits right on the end of the lens and overhangs over the front, therefore preventing the matte box from being used.

Is the Canon kit lens unique in this regard? Photos and videos of such setups on the internet show the follow focus ring gear sitting right in the middle of the lens barrel.

The only solution I can think of is to screw a small rigid lens hood onto the front. Use a universal doughnut such as the one from Zacuto. Fit the follow focus ring gear around the front rim of the lens, and slip the small elasticized opening of the universal doughnut over the top of the lens hood allowing it to fit in the groove between the back of the lens hood and the follow focus ring gear.

Perhaps my only solution is to make a better lens a priority to solve this problem. Unfortunately there is no store close by that sells Canon lenses which I can check out. I’m now working on putting the audio together and would prefer not to have to purchase a good lens at this time.

I think your spending priorities are backwards, regarding lenses. You spent a bunch of money for stuff that is supposed to support your lenses, but you don't have any lenses. Shoulda done it the other way around. Get a better lens.

I think your spending priorities are backwards, regarding lenses. You spent a bunch of money for stuff that is supposed to support your lenses, but you don't have any lenses. Shoulda done it the other way around. Get a better lens.

+1

The kit lens isn't unique in this regard (the 50mm f/1.8 has a similar focus ring), but you'll only find it on the cheaper lenses. The kit lens has surprisingly decent image quality for the price, but it's the last lens I'd choose to use with a follow focus and matte box - more hassle than it's worth, in my opinion.

Very near the bottom of my choices of lens for video work would be Canon. My canons (50mm 1.4 and a couple of early EOS era zooms) don't even go in the bag unless I'm shooting stills.

Last edited:
I know one's big investment is in the glass. So what then, are some of the lenses I should begin with? I had intended to first aquire a Canon EF 24mm-70mm f/2.8 L USM, or perhaps a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 until I could get the first one, but neither of these lenses have IS and I'm not sure if they would work well with a matte box and follow focus.

Do you do a lot of Documentary, sports, etc... type work that requires fast moving handheld? If you don't and the majority of time you're going to be on a tripod there is really no reason for worrying about IS.

I know one's big investment is in the glass. So what then, are some of the lenses I should begin with? I had intended to first aquire a Canon EF 24mm-70mm f/2.8 L USM, or perhaps a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 until I could get the first one, but neither of these lenses have IS and I'm not sure if they would work well with a matte box and follow focus.

Both of these are fantastic lenses. Unlike Gonzo we use the Canon 50mm 1.4 almost every time we bring the camera out.

They both work great with a follow focus, we use both with a FF at almost every shoot. Matteboxes on primes are generally ok, you move the camera in and out vs changing the lens' focal length. A matte box with (almost) any zoom lens is going to require adjustment when changing focal lengths.

Honestly, if you light well on set you can usually get by without a mattebox and the lens hoods for these lenses work great if you do run into some glare, though not quite as adjustable. Are their flags on your mattebox or is it just the box? If it's just the box, ditch it (unless you're using square filters) and go lens hood or naked.

The reason they don't have IS is because they're not telephoto. On wide and standard angle lenses you don't really need it. It just makes noise and weighs more. Once you get past 100mm you really start noticing a difference.

I used the 50 1.4 on a 7D the other day as the B camera on an event I got roped into shooting. Some was probably the 7D vs the 5D, but the Canon lens did not compare well to my vintage glass. I am also totally spoiled on the focus throw. Most of my old glass is around 270 degrees from close to infinity and very stiff. The really loose and short throw on the canons drives me nuts.

Back