New Canon EOS-1D X

chilipie

Pro Member
indiePRO
EOS-1D_X_3_2.jpg

Digital Photography Review

This looks really rather impressive.

Most people here will be interested in the video capabilities, and it doesn't disappoint…

The 1D X offers two compression options, including 'All-I,' a very low compression format that offers high image quality and editability but at the cost of immense files (a 16Gb card will hold around 6 minutes of footage). The alternative is a more standard IPB compression that takes up around 1/12th of the space. To prevent these large files limiting the camera, the 1D X is the first Canon to be able to split a single piece of footage into multiple files, overcoming the 4Gb limit of the card file system, and allowing videos of up to 29 minutes, 59 seconds to be recorded.

Here's hoping some of these features make their way down the range to a few of the lower-priced models…

Now, can anyone lend me £5300?

It'll be interesting to see how the video quality will stack up next to cameras in the same price range such as the FS100. While this may end up being the go to camera for those insisting on the best full frame video quality I don't see it garnering as much support as the 5DmII has in video circles.

I was hoping you would post the first thread. As predominantly a Writer, I'm ignorant to most upgrades. (Trying to learn)

So what are its video capabilities beside the 5DMKII and the pending release of the MKIII?

Obviously you can't give certainty to the latter. But looking forward to your thoughts as always.

It'll be interesting to see how the video quality will stack up next to cameras in the same price range such as the FS100. While this may end up being the go to camera for those insisting on the best full frame video quality I don't see it garnering as much support as the 5DmII has in video circles.

I think I agree… it'll do well among people who shoot a lot of stills with some video on the side (particularly photojournalists), but it's a lot of money to spend when a) competing against cameras like the FS100/AF-100 and b) the new 5D will probably have very similar video capabilities at a much lower price.

I was hoping you would post the first thread. As predominantly a Writer, I'm ignorant to most upgrades. (Trying to learn)

So what are its video capabilities beside the 5DMKII and the pending release of the MKIII?

Obviously you can't give certainty to the latter. But looking forward to your thoughts as always.

The first thing is that not only is the sensor in the 1D X larger (full frame, like the 5D, rather than APS-H or 1.3x like previous models) but the megapixel count has dropped from 21MP to 18MP. This is a fairly ballsy move by Canon and shows they've recognised that actually resolution isn't the be-all and end-all of image quality - noise is just as important. This means the pixels are larger and can collect more light, so low-light and noise performance increases. This is particularly good for video, where noise is much more evident in a 1080p 2MP frame than in an 18MP photo.

The second significant upgrade for video is a huge increase in processing power (the new Digic 5+ processors are apparently 17x faster than the old Digic 4). We won't really see what this means until some video samples are released and there are some more hands-on reviews, but it bodes well for things like line-skipping/moiré, HD out while recording and being hackable to faster frame rates and higher bitrates with tools like Magic Lantern.

Finally, a new recording format with substantially lower compression plus the ability to record for up to 30 minutes is going to be beneficial to both people using them on higher-end productions (particularly when used as a B/C cam alongside an Alexa/RED) and those working in documentary/live event type work.

What this means for the 5D Mk. III is a tricky one… it's got much more name recognition than the 1D and is in the right kind of price bracket for pros and keen amateurs alike, so it would be daft for Canon to leave out too many of these features, but I wouldn't necessarily put it past them. Either way, they certainly seem to be listening to the DSLR community and what with these updates and some far from perfect products by other manufacturers (see Panasonic AF-100 and Sony FS100), it would seem the video DSLR isn't quite dead yet.

The first thing is that not only is the sensor in the 1D X larger (full frame, like the 5D, rather than APS-H or 1.3x like previous models) but the megapixel count has dropped from 21MP to 18MP. This is a fairly ballsy move by Canon and shows they've recognised that actually resolution isn't the be-all and end-all of image quality - noise is just as important. This means the pixels are larger and can collect more light, so low-light and noise performance increases. This is particularly good for video, where noise is much more evident in a 1080p 2MP frame than in an 18MP photo.

The second significant upgrade for video is a huge increase in processing power (the new Digic 5+ processors are apparently 17x faster than the old Digic 4). We won't really see what this means until some video samples are released and there are some more hands-on reviews, but it bodes well for things like line-skipping/moiré, HD out while recording and being hackable to faster frame rates and higher bitrates with tools like Magic Lantern.

Finally, a new recording format with substantially lower compression plus the ability to record for up to 30 minutes is going to be beneficial to both people using them on higher-end productions (particularly when used as a B/C cam alongside an Alexa/RED) and those working in documentary/live event type work.

What this means for the 5D Mk. III is a tricky one… it's got much more name recognition than the 1D and is in the right kind of price bracket for pros and keen amateurs alike, so it would be daft for Canon to leave out too many of these features, but I wouldn't necessarily put it past them. Either way, they certainly seem to be listening to the DSLR community and what with these updates and some far from perfect products by other manufacturers (see Panasonic AF-100 and Sony FS100), it would seem the video DSLR isn't quite dead yet.

Fascinating. Especially the bolded section. I was left scratching my head earlier when reading through the anouncements on various websites.

Cheers for going into it in such detail, bud. Really appreciate it.

:weird:

You're clever.

It's really all about the processor which is what needs to be upgraded in the 5D line. All the compression issues really come from the processor not being able to handle the data stream unless it's heavily compressed. It's why they haven't updated the 5D firmware for 60fps I would imagine. With a sensor that size, spitting out 60 fps, the processor chokes on it.

I agree for sure that if I'm going to spend that kind of jack on a camera I probably wouldn't get a DSLR. The selling point of the 5D was price.

The cool thing about the 1D CMOS ships is they had excellent contrast rations and low noise levels. The last 1D could see into shadows more than the naked eye and out performed all the other Canon DSLR's at night shoots. You could do the 7D at 800 ISO, the 5D at 1600 and the 1D at 3200 with similar noise levels.

It's a cool camera for sure. I'd want to play with it first, but I'd consider it over the similarly priced Sonys and Panasonics.

Fingers crossed for a killer 5D MkIII announcement in a couple weeks!

Hold one in each hand and your carrying a small car.

In intra mode, files will ginormous. 355mb/sec.
Also, the early footage they released still shows heavy aliasing.
For 7,000 pringels, I'd get something else.

I'll preface this with I'm not a Canon man myself (Nikon, Panasonic, hopefully soon RED). But given those spec's the pricing even for a photographic camera seems high. I just suspect you could get better value buying an older Photo Camera and a Second Dedicated Video camera. That said there are "video" announcements coming at the start of next month, I'd suggest the wait and see what comes out for the more DSLR video shooter before slamming several grand on a table for a camera that isn't going to be actually out for another 6 months.

In intra mode, files will ginormous. 355mb/sec.
Also, the early footage they released still shows heavy aliasing.
For 7,000 pringels, I'd get something else.

Have you got a link? I had a look yesterday but couldn't find anything they've shot with it yet.

I'll preface this with I'm not a Canon man myself (Nikon, Panasonic, hopefully soon RED). But given those spec's the pricing even for a photographic camera seems high. I just suspect you could get better value buying an older Photo Camera and a Second Dedicated Video camera. That said there are "video" announcements coming at the start of next month, I'd suggest the wait and see what comes out for the more DSLR video shooter before slamming several grand on a table for a camera that isn't going to be actually out for another 6 months.

It's a similar price to the current 1Ds Mk. III (the 1D X replaces the full-frame 1Ds and the APS-H 1D Mk. IV) - it's way out of my price range but that's not really surprising given that it's targeted at people who shoot stills for a living and need cameras that can end up like this and still work:

dirtycameras.jpg

Back