Advice on camcorders

I'm interested in starting out in filmmaking by shooting and editing my own short but I'd like some advice on which camcorder would work best. My budget's pretty tight so I'm looking for the best camera at a low price. I'd also be editing on a Mac so it'd have to be Mac compatible. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

In addition to an actual numerical value of "tight", what are some of the kinds of shots you had in mind for your short?
Any special effects sort of stuff or just good ol' fashioned in-camera?
Need depth of field control?
Manual focus or autofocus is likely fine enough?
Going to be recording inside exclusively?
Need to get outside much?
Need a mic-in jack?
Output to youtube, dvd or going to try the festival circuit?
How long do you plan on using this as your primary nubie camera?

Okay....

I'm going to make some assumptions :)

Since you say you are "starting out" and that you need advice on which camcorder would be best.

The first thing I think is that you are relatively new at this. (that's not a bad thing)

If you have very little money and have never shot anything before, ANY camcorder will do. BUT you might as well get one of the good HD handicams. It's a good place to start.

If you have been doing this for a while and have some background in video (past high school I mean), my suggestions will be different.

So, as soon as you can, tell us some of your background so that we can give you some advice that you can actually use.

-- spinner :cool:

Back