• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Award Winning! My first short film "His Face Stayed That Way"

Awesome!!! That's just about one of the best short films I've ever seen. I can't wait to see your feature film, the one that I know totally exists. And, I'm being just as serious, with these comments, as you are about filmmaking. It's a shame that more people on this forum don't understand where you're coming from, cuz if they understood your true intent, they might get a little of the humor.

x39.jpg

I didn't watch the whole thing. It failed to hold my attention. I don't mean to be brutal, but that's what this site is for. I'm glad you were able to get an award, it'll help you move forward on your future films.

If you would call it a music video, I'd find it more successful as my expectations would have been different for the short.

I didn't watch the whole thing. It failed to hold my attention. I don't mean to be brutal, but that's what this site is for. I'm glad you were able to get an award, it'll help you move forward on your future films.

If you would call it a music video, I'd find it more successful as my expectations would have been different for the short.

Try and take off your filmmaker's hat for a sec and just allow art to flow over you. Like mayonnaise.

Try and take off your filmmaker's hat for a sec and just allow art to flow over you. Like mayonnaise.

I don't believe in Art, only Craft... which, interestingly, is the company that makes miracle whip, which I prefer to Mayonnaise.

Art is fleeting, Craft is something you can work on and get better at. I firmly believe that we need to consider ourselves craftspeople and if we are good at our craft, the audience are the ones who get to determine whether we are artists.

Ego is detrimental, however, to getting better at one's craft. From the other thread that this is in response to, I'm saddened that Mr. Landry is hiding behind the ego here. We genuinely are a community that wants to help one another improve our craft. And there is indeed some technical prowess in Mr. Landry's shooting, I just haven't seen any semblance of story telling (as the two pieces are an experimental music video and a trailer)... so I don't feel I can talk about that aspect of the filmmaker.

The award is something that can be leveraged into confidence IF USED CORRECTLY. This can help garner support for future productions and aid in your marketing.

Art is fleeting, Craft is something you can work on and get better at. I firmly believe that we need to consider ourselves craftspeople and if we are good at our craft, the audience are the ones who get to determine whether we are artists.

Art and craft are just words and what you think of those words is your own thoughts. I could say the exact opposite and it could be true. Example. Craft is fleeting. Art is the unexplainable talent to convey and share true emotions with pictures and sound. You can practice your craft and be technical perfect results and it still can suck. I would watch or listen to something made by someone with true vision then someone who spent years working on proper colour and sound techniques or playing the notes as fast as they can. So how's that?

Indeed, absurd enough to win an offbeat festival. Not so sure this aesthetic will carry a feature length (which, I'm assuming, is one cohesive *story* rather than a compilation).

If you see something that is technically perfect, then you are the audience and art/craft is your call. Art conveys a transcendence of the craft. When everything clicks perfectly, the audience can tell. As the audience, you are allowed to make that decision. Only the audience can decide how your product has come together.

George Lucas keeps reworking his projects and the audience has made their statements heard. Although he is unhappy with the initial project, the audience initially determined that it was art in such a resounding voice, that all of his "corrections" have offended the audience's perception of them. Once released, we (the filmmakers) don't get to determine whether or not the audience will like our projects, we don't have any control over that.

Don't strive to make art, strive to perfect your craft... this includes the makeup, set design, storytelling and directing aspects, not just cinematography, lighting and sound... getting all of this to come together is like catching lightning in a bottle. Keep practicing. Grow your craft.

Art and craft are just words and what you think of those words is your own thoughts. I could say the exact opposite and it could be true. Example. Craft is fleeting. Art is the unexplainable talent to convey and share true emotions with pictures and sound. You can practice your craft and be technical perfect results and it still can suck. I would watch or listen to something made by someone with true vision then someone who spent years working on proper colour and sound techniques or playing the notes as fast as they can. So how's that?

:lol:
This is a hilarious thread. But as I still laugh, I want to tell you that I do agree with your sentiment. Nothing is what anybody really says it is. It is what you can make your audience feel is all that really counts.

Here's how I feel about your film. If my mother watches a video clip by that dude, Philip Bloom, she'll think it's art. She'll think "oh look at that beautiful sunset, etc." To me it's just a bunch of sliding shots.

So is your film art to my mother? I don't know. But when I saw it, all I know is that I saw no real effort. Probably the most amount of time was spent on the song. But your film as a whole didn't have any meaning for me. So you couldn't connect to me. If you connected with it yourself, that's great, but I'm assuming you want to make a film where some other people will feel it's the greatest thing they've ever watched. I'm not sure your film comes off like that. It looks like a film anybody on youtube could have made.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm trying to say you should be self critical. Your style is your style. But to a lot of people on this board, it's not a new style. It just looks unrefined. It looks like my style when I started out. It looks like something we've all seen and done already when we were new. The audience is sophisticated. They've seen a lot of stuff. They've seen a lot of youtube. Your stuff looks youtube-y, not something I'd catch at a theater.

I'm still amused by this thread.

Edit: If I come off like a di*k, I promise it's not my intention. I'm just trying to say that you should be self-critical. You don't have to listen to everything people say on these boards. But most of them are trying to help.

Last edited:
Was honestly a little scared to watch this. There are some thing you can't un-see....

But I clicked, and watched, and chuckled.

Art is the unexplainable talent to convey and share true emotions with pictures and sound.

If art is a talent to convey (or communicate) something with an audience, then I can't see how this is art? I don't think I got any "true emotion" out of this. I chuckled a bit, it was a funny face and a funny song, but not 4 minutes funny.

If an audience doesn't get a communicator's point or message, it's the communicator's failure. Not the audience's.

Back