Need some help picking the best/most affordable camera for film and photography

Hello, please excuse me first off that I am fairly young and in the process of learning the difference between really crappy cameras and ones that are worth it.

As of now, I've been doing some still photography but need a better camera. I have a short film plans in the works, however and would like to get some advice on what the best deal might be on a camera that takes fairly respectable stills and fairly respectable film in one.

Like practically everyone breathing today, my budget is limited (shocker!) so what might be my best option? I've been surfing eBay but always come up short of making up my mind.
A brand of DSLR, perhaps?

Any advice is much appreciated!

The GH2 crowd will be after you with torches and pitchforks. :D As Ernest said, if still photography is a major part of your decision, Canon is a great choice, IMO.

:lol:

Perhaps if the question was just abt video.

But throw in professional photography...

EDIT: Actually, then the Nikon crowd would be after me... :lol:
Sidenote: Nikon and Canon are both top of the line when it comes to photography. The groups really shouldn't nitpick and just use whichever one they prefer.

Last edited:
Yep, just chiming in to agree with Ernest. I live in a college-town, with an impressive photography department, and I happen to have a good number of friends who majored in photography. The 5D is their Holy Grail.

I've been a 5D mk2 fanatic since I first used it. If it's in your budget, I'd definitely get it.

As someone else said, keep lenses in mind cause those can add up.

I heard a rumor today about a major announcement from Canon coming Nov 2...

+1 5D MkII for best photo/video combo.

I have a 7D and it's stellar, you can get them used for $1300 if you look.

Rebels take good pictures too, just less control and slower.

Hi guys, thanks for all--I guess I really am poor. Can't afford a 5D in any capacity. What do you think of a Super 8mm? Good vintage deal or just really crappy?

Meanwhile, I have a Fingerhut account and have my eye on this one, a GE Power Pro 16MP: http://www.fingerhut.com/product/GE-Power-PRO-16MP15X-Optical-Zoom-Digital-Camera/NV782.uts

Any thoughts on how it takes video? To me, and as a lot of people on this board have said, the most important thing is the story. A camera helps, I'd like it to be decent, but don't have the dough.

That said, can any format of film be submitted to a festival? Or do they all have different guidelines?

Canon 5D MK II or 7D.

if those are too much and out of your price range try taking a look at the Canon 60D or the Panasonic GH2.

I myself just recently got a 5D MKII. It's great for photography. I've seen great looking film works come from it. Looking forward to making a film with it. I also know people with the 60D, 7D, and GH2. I've heard TONS of great things about the GH2 for affordable filmmaking...

Well, "Super 8mm" is actually film and though a camera body might be found for $50, film costs are through the roof. You have to buy the film, pay to develop it and pay to transfer it to a digital format to edit with. And, they don't use stills.

Hi-8 (or 8mm tape) and Digi-8 are video, but stay away.

The trick is getting a camera that's all around good for video AND stills. The cheapest camera to do ok at both is a Canon t2i. You might find one for $450 used, then get a $50 vintage lens.

I'd avoid that camera you just picked out for video.

Do you need it ALL for cheap? I love my iPhone 4 camera. It's no 7D but it's always with me and I can post the pics and do a quick edit ASAP. Grab a 4s, 1080p video and an 8mp camera. Again, no DSLR but I'd rather shoot with it than any sub $500 conusumer standalone digital camera.

Aside from a very few specialized festivals, no one cares what you shoot it on. I've seen brilliant cellphone footage and terrible film and high-end video. Learn about lighting, audio etc to better the technclical look and sound and tell a good story, that's most important (or so all the screenwriters here say ;) )

I can't speak for the 5D or the GH2, I've never had the pleasure of using one. But I do own a 60D. In comparison to the 550D/T2i, the 60D is much better for photography. It's a bigger, sturdier unit. The top LCD displays a lot of info that the T2i doesn't. Settings are easier to adjust with all the extra controls. The quality of video from the two is exactly the same (I believe), but many people would recommend the 60D over the T2i purely for the flip-out screen. But then again! On the subject of the T2i, check out the T3i (600D). It's like a T2i-60D hybrid (flip-out screen included)!

In any case, I love my 60D, I just need to find more time to use it!

Back