• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about putting together a boom mic.

I have that thing that holds the shock mount that screws into the end of the pole. Whatever it's called. However when I put it all together the mic is not pointed down. It's pointed straight forward, because the thing that screws in the end, holds the shock mount in a straight forward holding position. Anyway to solve this?

NEVERMIND I FIGURED IT OUT FINALLY LOL.

Last edited:
I meant putting together the whole boom contraption, and not putting together the mic of course. My bad for using mic. I just meant the whole contraption plus the mic.

The shock mount covers quite a bit a of my shotgun mic though. So much that the microphone wind cover, only goes up halfway. Is this going to be a problem, or can I just leave it down halfway to make room for the shock? My mic is only half the length as all of the shock mount examples I can find.

Last edited:
It depends on what kind of wind cover it is. That's why you really need a blimp and a dead cat for a shotgun mic.
rycote-winchield-system.jpg

With a hypercardioid you usually use a baby ball gag.

bbgwj.jpg

92-571_01.jpg

It's a deadcat. But the deadcat will only fit halfway up cause the shock's in the way. It's not the cover that's the problem. The cover can fit all the way up the mic without the shock mount, but only halfway up with.

Back