• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Film#1 a Disorder

well one of the most interesting shorts ive viewed on here. beautifully shot, loved the lighting. couldn;t follow the story, was a bit lost but still watched on like watching a nightmare play out. very surreal and very good IMHO.

Thanks for your comments dr stilly .
In fact my story was the main reason that i was not selected in festivals.
Although if you watch it carefully you can find the basic concept- I made a film like this because i have been bored watching films with a very specific meaning-People dont think anymore :)

Thanks for your comments dr stilly .
In fact my story was the main reason that i was not selected in festivals.
Although if you watch it carefully you can find the basic concept- I made a film like this because i have been bored watching films with a very specific meaning-People dont think anymore :)

i think your work is more about feeling than thinking which is what is great about it. the imagery conjured many emotions in me. maybe i unconciouslly grasped the story, who knows...

Just think what could happen once you found the begging of a rope in your room.
Would you follow it ? Where could it take you to? Would you wake up or keep on dreaming?

Just think what could happen once you found the begging of a rope in your room.
Would you follow it ? Where could it take you to? Would you wake up or keep on dreaming?

yeah the string was key, i got that. dude its good to see a propar artist showcasing a work of art and i dont say that lightly...

In my opinion every filmmaker should make extaordinary films. Even the most simple story can be shown with a very unique way. I have seen many short films - what i think is that people do not use their imagination in order to hide their amateurism. They just copy scenes from Great films.

In my opinion every filmmaker should make extaordinary films. Even the most simple story can be shown with a very unique way. I have seen many short films - what i think is that people do not use their imagination in order to hide their amateurism. They just copy scenes from Great films.

i couldnt agree more. they just do what they've seen rather than use what they've seen to help what they see...if that makes sense...

Well what i can tell for sure is that my film is a typical short ... like those with people in an office - or with zombies(?) --- it's Funny

Stunningly and effectively shot, yet I will say that I viewed it as being concept over content in many ways - which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it felt wrong in this piece.

It was, as I said, wonderfully shot (and quite well-edited, might I add) in spite of the fact that the content was...how can I phrase this...self-indulgent, almost? It played as though you were confident in your abilities as a film-maker, whilst simultaneously adding an air of pretense about the piece; the shots were wonderfully synched to music, the visuals were moody and unique in places, and yet it didn't feel like any one shot was necessary to the work itself.

Essentially, it almost viewed (for me) like film maker masturbation - it was pretty, it showed off your skills a bit, but ultimately...it was just for you.

Well Mr SHOEMcrabOUTH you are absolutely right !!!
None can find the absolute meaning for this film but the film itself doesnt need one (you have to admit that). And Yes! it is a filmmaker's masturbation
Some times you just need to create - in this kind of mood you dont give a "shit" about how others would take it - its just you and your film (ultimately as you said !!!).

i have to mention that i had no idea of photography or filmmaking before that movie. I just got the idea - worked it in my mind and just bought the camera to shot it (never used a camera before !) - i had to show off thats true :)
It ws shot just with 6 spotlights and a Canon Hv20 camcorder. All the rest were tricks to cover my lack of technical knowledge.
I think that i am honest enough but i am very proud of .
I need your advice in order to learn and stop being so "selfish" in the way i shot.
Thanks

And Yes! it is a filmmaker's masturbation
Some times you just need to create - in this kind of mood you dont give a "shit" about how others would take it - its just you and your film (ultimately as you said !!!).

I just imagined you on the premier of your film... You are alone in the theater, the audience has left... and you are masturbating... It's a flop :blush:

I need your advice in order to learn and stop being so "selfish" in the way i shot.
Thanks

Well first of all, I don't think self-indulgence is necessarily a bad thing. For proof, see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhARR-zmTCE

It only detracts from your film when you sacrifice accessibility for "selfishness" -- in other words, you need to understand your audience (in this case the Youtube audience). Instead of not showing off at the risk of losing a few people, go all out while doing your best to pull the viewers along. Obviously, that's an abstract goal, but I think it's what everyone needs to actively work at to keep from getting stuck at mediocrity.

My two cents.

Last edited:
Well guys i think that i have been misunderstood...
... about showing off - Yes i showed off because i have not seen many people shot their first film the way mine was shot. This is my style- and by the time i ll learn how to be more accessible i ll be ready to make great Films - and thats because firstly i use my mind - and not the tutorials i read in forums.

I have heard really good comments about the quality of the film
I have to admit that the strory was a bit complicated, but there are many people that let themselves free and just watch the film without trying to find a special meaning. The film itself doesnt need one.Even though there is ONE!!!

as far as this post "I just imagined you on the premier of your film... You are alone in the theater, the audience has left... and you are masturbating... It's a flop "
Mrs kinglis it seems that you know nothing about Filmmaking and art generally.

I am really sorry :(

Oh very nice! It inspires me to want to get going and shoot something! One of the most interesting and engaging shorts I've seen since starting to watch shorts. You should be proud of it, especially for just coming out of the gate. I really like your creative use of lighting. Bravo.

It's true, the story doesn't seem apparently accessible to me either. But I didn't care. I took it as a somewhat far-out art film. Maybe those are its terms. I think you're right. It asked me, perhaps, to meet it half way in finding a narrative. I did not resent it. I probably would have if I had paid ten bucks for a feature film, or something. But that of course is not the case.

[Edit:]
To make what I originally wrote a little less...well, I don't know. To hopefully soften what I originally wrote and to make it, I hope, a little more diplomatic...

I did not find your film to be pretentious or overly self-indulgent. I do not know where those charges are coming from. It tends to rankle me when people charge artists, be they filmmakers, musicians, or whomever, with being pretentious. No doubt sometimes it is true. But most instances that I personally see and hear it's unfounded and unfair. Certainly in this case, it's a case of, say what?! I suppose it involves a wish to punish the artist for their boldness, daring, and risk taking. And I'm afraid the goal is to produce a chilling effect. That is, we'd really rather you be more timid, tepid, and conforming, thank you very much. I think it's unfortunate. You are a new filmmaker. You are just starting out and you are experimenting. Someday, maybe somebody will give you a large budget and the responsibility that comes along with that large budget, and you will, little doubt, need to work within tighter constraints. But for now, I say, enjoy the experimenting while you can. [/Edit]

Be daring. Be bold. Best of luck. :)

Last edited:
Dear friend richy, your words express what i really feel . Once i visited the Barrandov Studios (One of the biggest film studios in Central Europe) in Prague , i met a guy there and showed him my films.I was looking for a Job basically ... i didnt get one.
That guy told me that my films remind him of Jan Svankmajer .
I was a bit ashamed because i didnt know that guy :(.
At the end of our conversation the manager there told me that i am gonna have people that love my way and others that hate it.
But as he said, That is good beacause both sides recognise the power of my films

i am gonna have people that love my way and others that hate it.
But as he said, That is good beacause both sides recognise the power of my films

Agreed. It is absolutely better to be a polarizing artist than an artist who lowers his own standards to get more viewers. When I said to know your audience, I meant the actual distribution platform. Youtube, which is full of cat videos and annoying oranges, is not a place where you'll reach the majority of its audience (a certain few, sure, but an amazingly small percentage of its billion users). In this case Vimeo was a better platform to release on.

Also, I don't think you're being pretentious. A pretentious artist in my mind is someone who paints two dots on a canvas, or stacks four shop-vacs on top of each other, or makes a pile of rocks on the ground, etc and calls it art. In your film, it's clear that thought, time, and effort went into making something, even though it may be different.

Like I said, go all out. Be polarizing, but in time try to get more people on the side that likes your work than the other way around.

P.S. A fine example of that sort of filmmaker is Nicolas Winding Refn -- Bronson and Valhalla Rising were wonderful, but too bold for the average movie-goer. However, his newest film Drive is at the same level of boldness, but has reached a much wider audience.

Last edited:
Back