Question for Panasonic GH2 Users

I am about to buy the Panasonic GH2 and I have a few questions to ask. I have been told that the LCD is not up to par with the Canon DSLRs. This was no worry to me originally since I planned to use the HDMI out and a field monitor. I have found numerous threads saying that as soon as you plug in any external monitor to the GH2 via HDMI, you no longer have access to 720p 60p mode. All of these threads were before the hack was released, and some suggested that the hack might have a solution. However, I have not found any post hack threads about the subject. Does anyone know if the hack allows for access to 720p 60p mode while using HDMI out? Do you all think this is anything to really dwell on even if it still doesn't? Any other ideas or comments?

I haven't installed the hack yet so I'm unsure if that offers a solution. Even if it doesn't I don't think it's a big deal. Unless you intend to shoot 720p60 all the time just unplug the monitor on those rare occasions. While the built in LCD isn't phenomenal it is quite usable in most situations.

What you say IS true, with EXTERNAL HDMI you can only have 1080 24p. Important to note that during record you CAN monitor 1080p during record (see comments bout cannons below)

Iv been trying to figure out myself how HDMI is working on the HACK and don't know yet either.

That said, the only CANNON DSLR that is going to give you HD output during RECORD is the 7D and 5d, the other cameras all downgrade to 480 during record so it stinks for focus.

What you say IS true, with EXTERNAL HDMI you can only have 1080 24p. Important to note that during record you CAN monitor 1080p during record (see comments bout cannons below)

Iv been trying to figure out myself how HDMI is working on the HACK and don't know yet either.

That said, the only CANNON DSLR that is going to give you HD output during RECORD is the 7D and 5d, the other cameras all downgrade to 480 during record so it stinks for focus.

I was wondering about monitoring 720p during monitoring out on the GH2. From what I understand, the 1080p works rather well; however, most people say it locks you into 1080p eliminating the choice to shoot in 720p 60p while connected to the monitor.

Back