• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My new short film - Expiration Date

I missed something in the translation Im sure but that was pretty interesting..

I LOVED the music
I LOVED the lighting
I LOVED the footage under the credits. That was very creative and effective.

yakar,
can you give me some context for your film? I see iconic images, "Hammer and Sickle" "Dollar sign" etc that suggest that there is political statement to be found here. However, the political situation in Istanbul is unknown to me and likely Im missing some context. I know historically it is quite an amazing place of contradiction and clashing cultures, I hope to visit someday.

I'm not entirely sure what I just watched, or what the message was that it was trying to portray. The only resemblance of a storyline I could gleam from it was that the main guy had been modelled into a workaholic by the education system, his own desires and dreams supressed to make way for the pursuit of monetary gain - I only got that idea from the use of school work throughout, and the in-between sections where he reaches desperately for the guitar but feels trapped on the bed underneath dollar signs. But then came the army section, and I guessed the main message is all about how you're expected to act in certain ways by society. Then the laptop shots came along, and I lost any hope of figuring out what I just watched.

Whilst I'm normally all for abstract films, I'm never sure how to analyze them properly. With normal narrative pieces, it's easy to say what's wrong here and there, what can be improved, etc., but it's hard to do so for an abstract piece because often what I find is that continuity between shots has been forsaken for some artistic purpose. What I can say though is that I didn't really enjoy watching your film. I don't mean that in an offensive way, I'm sure it appeals to a lot of people, but abstract film isn't really an area I have much knowledge in and after spending years watching films with normal narratives it's incredibly difficult for me to watch stuff like this.

Abstract or not though, film is a form of entertainment, not just art. If a film fails to keep the audience captivated, it often doesn't matter what the message is or how well the film has been made.

From a normal viewer perspective though, there are several points that just seem incredibly off. I personally liked the first 30 or so seconds, but then somewhere around there came the 180-degree rule switch that was so obvious and so jarring that any real reason you could give for it happening just wouldn't excuse it.

As much as I'm trying not to sound offensive, it's not working, so I'll stop there. All I'll add is... could you not have at least rethought the way the army scene was shot? And what was with the laptop shots?

I'm sorry, I'm clearly not the target audience you're aiming at, but you do quite a bit of potential. You just need some help in continuity, perhaps, and keeping the interest of the audience. For an example of a fantastic abstract piece I saw on this forum recently that managed to keep my interest with an absolutely fantastic backing track, see 'Beautiful Sketches' by Ernest Worthing.

Back