Can I use printed pictures from the internet in my film?

These pictures relate to what I talked about in the film, like a wall of pictures and the character lingers on each picture, the camera close ups on the picture too, however these are saved from google. I've seen documentaries do it and get away with it but then I'm told they have fair use policy for educational purposes or something like that...can i get away with it??

Last edited:
I think the source is pretty important. Do you know where each individual clip is from? Truth be told, It seems unlikely that anyone would ever bring up any sort of legal action about something like that, but I would always look to be as safe as possible

I thought the same especially when this material is mostly use for educational purposes anyway. but my second question is will festivals allow films to screen that break such copyright laws?

I thought the same especially when this material is mostly use for educational purposes anyway. but my second question is will festivals allow films to screen that break such copyright laws?

Depends. How would you feel if one filmmaker who got approval for all images got bumped for your film where all the images were stolen?

The easiest way around the issue is to use images that are licensed under Creative Commons, or are in the public domain. You can search Creative Commons images on Flickr to find ones with an appropriate license for your needs. But to answer you question, it would probably be a copyright violation, and it's unlikely such use would fall under fair use. Now, if they were just images in the background that the character didn't really pay attention to, then you could probably get away with it under fair use. Maybe.

The easiest way around the issue is to use images that are licensed under Creative Commons, or are in the public domain. You can search Creative Commons images on Flickr to find ones with an appropriate license for your needs. But to answer you question, it would probably be a copyright violation, and it's unlikely such use would fall under fair use. Now, if they were just images in the background that the character didn't really pay attention to, then you could probably get away with it under fair use. Maybe.

jeez it's really too late for that.

"fair use" really applies to research, news gathering, maybe docs. If you're making a narrative film, especially to make a profit, you can't use the "fair use" provision, you got to get clearance.

Stolen may be a strong word, but in you're in court over an image from your award winning film, "stolen" is the word that other side will be tossing around.

------------------

If you've a small film that is going to be shown in a few small festivals and if you don't own things of value, you've little to worry about. However, if your film has a image of Mickey Mouse, and you own real estate, Disney may come knocking.

Borrowed implies that permission was obtained before hand and that the borrower intends to return the item taken.

To address the issue, you can select the images that want to use for your movie and recreate them. If it's a picture of a flower for example, take your camera and go shoot a picture of a flower. That way, you own the copyrights to all of the images and don't have to worry about infringing upon anyone else's.

No, that wouldn't be for educational purposes. You changed the game.

Fair use is very specific and general exhibition, regardless of non-commercial status, doesn't apply.

Borrowed implies that permission was obtained before hand and that the borrower intends to return the item taken.

To address the issue, you can select the images that want to use for your movie and recreate them. If it's a picture of a flower for example, take your camera and go shoot a picture of a flower. That way, you own the copyrights to all of the images and don't have to worry about infringing upon anyone else's.

Hence the use of quotation marks. It was sarcasm ;)

I have never secured permission from you each time I:
Illicitly obtained?

Pilfered?

Plundered?

Swiped?

Looted?

Misappropriated?

Diverted?

Poached?

Embezzled?

Purloined?

Filched?

Borrow?
or stole your wife, girlfriend and no-longer-a-minor daughter(s) (individually or jointly) to perform debaucherous acts in my boudoir.

Izat cool with you?
Rockin'!
Thanks for understanding! :yes::D

It's just a hobby. Nothing serious.
bdsm-zentai-kinbaku-et-mode-manuel-vason-esinem-pour-cent-magazine.jpg

Back