guns and insurance

I'm getting a quote for insurance (required when renting gear), and one of the questions is are we using any guns in the short movie.

lets say that we DO have a gun in one interior scene... and will say "No guns" on the insurance application... what are the consequences??

Are you talking production insurance? Or rental gear insurance? I would think that any production insurance need to know because of the added liability of even having replica firearms on set. Dont know though.

When I called the Dallas Film Commision asking about permits and what not last year I think she said that prop weapons (ie, not real) weren't considere the same and recommended an insurance provider to me. Not sure how insurance counts it.

Insurance for us for a low traffic side street, no weapons or anyhting crazy with the Dallas required $1,000,000 coverage was like $780 the first day, but like $60 each after that. Added on to the permit itself and the off duty officer we opted to shoot in Fort Worth where as long as we didn't interrupt traffic we could do whatever for free.

I'M GUESSING, but...

Like ANY insurance policy, you will ONLY be covered for non-fraudulent claims.

If nothing happens, then nothing happens and it's a relative small expense compared to a great expense if something "unfortunate" did happen.

If something does happen, and the insurance people find out there was a fraudulent representation of the risk they were assuming to insure your project as described in good faith by you to them then that's the single excuse they need to invalidate your entire policy, make no disbursement for whatever expenses you've incurred, and still keep your payment.

So, what's even the point of having insurance if it's potentially worthless the only time you'd need it?
That's just spending money to be spending money.
Just... give it to me, instead. :D

Cheat where you can, but not on this.
Call 'em.
Ask 'em.
Make sure they know what's what so that they can adjust your quote accordingly.

You're making a short.
It's an airsoft pistol.
It'll be on set, inside or out, for surely no more than one to two hours.
There's no "firing" going on outside.
Only an adroit walk from the SUV to the entry door, followed by an deft pursuit through the rooms to the kitchen.
Two scenes.
That's it.

Make a phone call & a professional resource friend every opportunity you can.

GL & GB

The insurance companies explained it to me that the prop gun cannot be capable of firing any projectiles at all for prop coverage. Anything that fires requires more costly coverage.

I told them our weapons will have post effects for firing, since we are using laser guns.

Any physical contact between 2 actors they consider stunts and your insurance goes up, unless you have a stunt coordinator who carries their own insurance.

Last edited:
Back