• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My first short film (comedy)

New to the forums here. Just finished up my first short film.

Filmed with a Canon digital camera, so pardon the sound quality at some parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fciu5jxz2uo

Hi Johnny, welcome to the forum. Aside from picture and sound quality (getting a good direction microphone is essential), I shall give you my two cents:

- The opening shot of you on your own has too much headroom. You really should avoid having that much head room unless you are filming a wide shot. The reason for this is to avoid the talent looking as if they are sinking.
- There are too many ordinary shots of just yourself in this. I think if you felt the need to film that many shots of just you, you ought to have varied the back drop a little. Try and make your background look quite busy and more 3D. Try not to sit directly in front of a plain wall.
- The editing for this film should have been a lot tighter. Viewers generally don't want to see the same shot for too long. If you have a static shot that goes on for longer than 5 seconds then the viewer will probably get bored unless it is an exceptional piece of filmmaking.

The begining made it hard to watch. I probably would edit the first 55 seconds. It did not make much sense for people watching it for the first time. I get now that he is talking to his self or something. To me the first time around it just seemed like he was practicing lines or something.

Back