Does/did anyone ever sell 'broken' cameras?

I actually have a collection over the years of both still and some motion cameras that cannot be used for one reason or another. They were dropped (one on ground, one in water). Some just don't work perhaps because they have been sitting around. Long distance lenses that are old and dirty.

Some were given to me over the years. I thought one day of selling them of course noting their condition but I don't know (ebay??) if there is actually a place that buys such things for parts?

They are all in a box and everytime I look at them I think , they might be worth something financially to me (a little bit anyway) and someone else might use them for other reasons.

k.

It largely depends on the type of camera. Some of the older cameras, while excellent, were mass produced, so they don't fetch much, so they won't fetch anything if they're broken.

Conversely, some cameras sell a lot just because collectors want them.

You'll likely get more if you look up the models individually on eBay to get a feel for what people are paying for the item, then put them on eBay yourself. You may get a few bites. Alternatively, you can try selling them in bulk on some forum. You may not get as much in the long run but it's a heckuva lot easier.

Whatever you do, don't take them to your local camera shop unless you know them to be a decent, reputable dealer. I found out that my local guy basically rips people he doesn't know off on their old equipment then hocks it on eBay under a different name for a much higher price.

Back