canon 550D/T2i f stops.

hey guys, i've had this camera a while now, but hadn't really used it to its full potential. just point and shoot was good enough for me at the time.
I'd been mostly using the cameras supplied by my university (sony Z1). The canon was just a secondary, muck around camera i used at home. But i've fallen in love with this camera, and started to use it over the uni cameras.

So i've started really researching it and how it can get the best out of it.
i'm more informed but still a little confused!

I've come across some questions about the aperture f.stops.

i've noticed that the f stop can go no lower than 1/5.6? If i heighten the ISO it can go to 1/5. but i'd like to keep the ISO as low as possible because the quality suffers far too much.

Why can't the Aperture go lower than 5.6?

another question i have that i can't seem to find the answer to is:
Is the aperture/f.stop relevant to the lens or the actual camera?

the lens i have is 18mm - 50mm.

I know the lower the f stop is the shallower the DOF gets, but i think that could produce some really interesting shots that i'd like to experiment with.
And also experiment with really low light situations.

Thanks for any help guys.

Cheers,
Ash

Keep in mind that the sensor is smaller compared to a full frame camera. So a 50mm lens on a T2i is like a 80mm lens on a full frame camera.

Let's not start that :)

A 1.6 crop is virtually the same as S35. If your a photographer, you may be more concerned of the fov. If you're just using it for video, dont worry abt the 1.6 crop. You'll simply be used to what a 50mm looks on a 1.6 and go up and down from there.

Let's not start that :)

A 1.6 crop is virtually the same as S35. If your a photographer, you may be more concerned of the fov. If you're just using it for video, dont worry abt the 1.6 crop. You'll simply be used to what a 50mm looks on a 1.6 and go up and down from there.

I never really thought about it that way. Strange.

EDIT: But then again I don't even own a DSLR. I just know about cameras, and lenses for some reason. So maybe that's why in practical application it never occurred to me that the user will be accustomed to the focal range on a 1.6 crop camera. Weird. lol it was something so simple.

Last edited:
Back