• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

compose music

Hi there. I got one question to ask. Some times I intend to compose music for my own film, but I don't have music background. None of the notes or instrument I know. So what I want to know is, is there a software for us to use for compose music without insert the notes?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. What do you mean by "compose music without insert the notes? ". You're going to have to get notes in there somehow, so it's either play them via MIDI keyboard, or insert them one at a time by hand.

I can't play very well, so I insert notes manually in the "piano roll" format in Logic pro. This is a good method if you can't read a musical staff, and is quite intuitive.

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. What do you mean by "compose music without insert the notes? ". You're going to have to get notes in there somehow, so it's either play them via MIDI keyboard, or insert them one at a time by hand.

I can't play very well, so I insert notes manually in the "piano roll" format in Logic pro. This is a good method if you can't read a musical staff, and is quite intuitive.

hm... it's because I found some software online, but need to insert musical notes to compose music.
http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~mcs/emc.html this is what I talk about.

I can't read a thing of that, so it's quite impossible for me. Thanks for introduce Logic Pro but I am using Windows so I think can't use it @@

As a musician, this is like asking if you can write a book without learning to read or write first ;) That said, and actual helpful advice, what you want is something like Sony Acid. All pre-recorded loops. Find what you like, copy and paste them as long as you need, layer them with others and you've got music, without having to learn anything about music.

Now, Acid CAN be used for more complex and musical things; you can do a lot more with it, but for what you're looking for, I think that'd do the job. Also a good start if you want to actually learn about music.

As a musician, this is like asking if you can write a book without learning to read or write first ;) That said, and actual helpful advice, what you want is something like Sony Acid. All pre-recorded loops. Find what you like, copy and paste them as long as you need, layer them with others and you've got music, without having to learn anything about music.

Now, Acid CAN be used for more complex and musical things; you can do a lot more with it, but for what you're looking for, I think that'd do the job. Also a good start if you want to actually learn about music.

haha... thanks for that advice. I'll try it out... Guess I have to learn a thing or two about music from now onwards XD

You can use FLStudio. It's a fantastic program that comes with tons of great sounds and endless possibilities. I've been using it myself for about 5 years now and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. It has a piano roll feature in it, MIDI capable and there is no need to be able to read music to use it. I can hardly read myself. Just because you can't read doesn't mean you can't write.

Please please please do not be intimidated by not knowing keys, notes, or any of the technical/traditional form of music composition and be shamed into thinking you can't write beautiful music without that knowledge.

I personally use FLStudio and have been writing music for more than 15 years with it. I would not at all suggest using prepackaged loops. Maybe if you've never written a song in your life and you just want to fart around, but even I didn't start that way, and I certainly wouldn't encourage you to use premade loops in place of an original film score (because technically it wouldn't be original then, would it?)

Here are the latest examples of my film scores using FLStudio and ZERO technical, classical, institutionalized, or trained music knowledge whatsoever:

This is closer to a traditional film score.

This is a tad more edgy and experimental.

Last edited:
I absolutely 200% agree with JGBarnes. I have never, let me say that again, NEVER, studied composition or music production and yet I am now looking at doing both as a full-time career, and I'm only 23.

But don't think that means you can "just do it". You'd be wrong.
What it means is, yes, you can learn by yourself, but no, it will not happen over night. It takes a lot of time and dedication. Having said that, you will definitely benefit from learning the basics even if you only use them to create demos for a composer, or as a way to express your ideas to someone.

I cannot recommend FLStudio since I've tried it and hated it (I found it way too complex). But the truth of the matter is, the best software to use is the one you're comfortable with. You should look at free software first maybe, just to get a feel, or purchase cheap software rather than Cubase for example.

FLStudio is pretty cheap (if I remember correctly), so is REAPER, and there are many others. Mu-Lab is -free- but very basic. Maybe it will be enough for you though, who knows?
You can also find many free virtual instruments (VSTs) onilne, or you can just ask me if you like. I have taught quite a few people how to play guitar, how to compose and also how to produce music, so I'm always happy to give advice or feedback.

Good luck writing your own music and I hope you find it as enjoyable as I do.

I absolutely 200% agree with JGBarnes. I have never, let me say that again, NEVER, studied composition or music production and yet I am now looking at doing both as a full-time career, and I'm only 23.

Excellent for you, man! Good work! Once I get one more project done, I will actively pursue a more professional career in scoring. I wish you the best.

But don't think that means you can "just do it". You'd be wrong.
What it means is, yes, you can learn by yourself, but no, it will not happen over night. It takes a lot of time and dedication. Having said that, you will definitely benefit from learning the basics even if you only use them to create demos for a composer, or as a way to express your ideas to someone.

You're absolutely right. It's certainly not easy. Like I said, I've been using FLStudio for 15 years and not until just a couple of years ago have I felt that I've truly hit a groove and fully understood my capabilities and how to deliver efficiently.

Please clarify, though, "learning the basics." My definition of basics might be different than yours.

I cannot recommend FLStudio since I've tried it and hated it (I found it way too complex). But the truth of the matter is, the best software to use is the one you're comfortable with. You should look at free software first maybe, just to get a feel, or purchase cheap software rather than Cubase for example.

Hmm...interesting. I've heard the opposite about FLStudio. In fact, I've found it easiest to use compared to the other big ones out there. That might surprise you, but I seem to be in the minority, at least in the music community in the Detroit area. Everyone sees FLStudio as Playskool stuff, that is, until I show them what I can do with it. ;)

But, MetalRenard is right. Use what's comfortable for you. That's all that matters.

FLStudio is pretty cheap (if I remember correctly), so is REAPER, and there are many others. Mu-Lab is -free- but very basic. Maybe it will be enough for you though, who knows?
You can also find many free virtual instruments (VSTs) onilne, or you can just ask me if you like. I have taught quite a few people how to play guitar, how to compose and also how to produce music, so I'm always happy to give advice or feedback.

Good luck writing your own music and I hope you find it as enjoyable as I do.

All great suggestions! FLStudio Producer Edition is only 200 bucks! That's a steal! And you can always try out a demo to see if you like it.

Haha I'm glad we mostly agree.

As for "the basics" I mean literally the first 5 things you should learn when you starting making music (I've made video tutorials though they're not of the best quality, even I can admit that. I don't have high quality video editors or capturing software so I made do with what I had.)

To me, the basics are:
1) How to install the software, how to install and host virtual instruments.
2) How to use midi - this stage is often overlooked and so even after a few years experience I still see people making n00bish mistakes and having trouble making orchestral VSTs sound realistic.
3) How to create FX chains and the basics on how to use reverb, and how to use both effectively.
4) How to MIX audio - EQ, compression, using the space (panning), ...
5) Basic mastering - How to make sure a mix never saturates, master volume levels, how to get "industry standard" loudness WHY YOU SHOULD AVOID "industry standard" loudness (Yes, I am an active fighter against the "Loudness War").

I think that covers "the basics"... :)

Yes. I 100% agree, though, I'd add an exception to the midi thing. It's only necessary if you're more comfortable writing with a keyboard or other physical devices/or synthesizers, which I'm not. I personally prefer to "point-n-click" my notes into place using the software alone. I like to visualize my note grid on a large monitor and watch them loop over and over while I switch out notes until I'm happy with the melody. Everyone's different, though. A friend of mine can't stand writing the way I do and I can't stand writing the way he does.

Otherwise, I completely agree. If I could add anything to that, I can't think of it at the moment.

I do agree with a lot of both of your points. You definitely can teach yourself music; I'm self-trained myself. I play about a dozen instruments (to varying degrees of proficency!) as well as electronic composition. All you really need is the time and dedication, and a LOT of both.

If you want to make music, then, yeah, there's nothing stopping you. If you want to be a composer, however, you need to know theory. You don't need formal education, but you do need education. You need to know counterpoint and harmony, you need to know scales and modes. You need to know how all the instruments you want to compose for work (though you don't need to know how to play them), otherwise when you get to the level where you are handing off sheet music, it won't be playable by a live musician. All that and composing for film is an entirely different beast than just being a good musician, or a good composer. And, like anything in life, you never ever stop learning. There's always more to know.

But all that aside, you can throw together music that you like without having that knowledge. FL has come a long way (I think part of the snobbery against it has to do with people who tried the first few versions. Acid gets the same thing; they're both now capable of multitrack audio and MIDI/VST integration, but there was a time when neither of them were). I remember Orion being a lot of fun to play with, and pretty "beginner friendly." Each VSTi has it's own loop/piano roll to build pattern based sequences with. And if you want to go old-school techno/acid, Rebirth is free these days: http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/ (note: that's a very specific use synth and not as flexible as a full-fledged DAW). Oh, and http://www.kvraudio.com is an absolutely essential resource for plug-in effects and instruments, lots of which are free.

Anyway, how deep you want to go really depends on how far you want to get. There is absolutely nothing wrong with just wanting to do music for fun, and not being serious about it. There's nothing wrong with being serious about it, but teaching yourself. That said, I've been a DIY guy since I first picked up a guitar, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to school for composition. You can't know too much!

There are lost of ways to be a composer and not have to learn theory. I don't know theory and I compose music (I like to think I'm very good at it too). Theory can help with communication but just look at Hans Zimmer - He composes the music but doesn't know deep theory, he has people do that for him.

Yes, theory can help, but much more important is training your ear. You can study theory for a hundred years and still not produce a great piece of music. You can not know theory, but if you have a good ear and passion you can still make great music.

I hate the idea of "studying" musical theory, and I say you can teach or train yourself to do anything, school is just one way, and definitely not the best way. The most creative people are those that discover the rules by themselves rather than being spoon-fed them by professors of this and that, and reading about theory is just about the same.

I see where you're coming from and at one point in my life I felt much the same way. And, yes, there are plenty of people who find their own way through theory (though more so in pop music than orchestral/film).

But you are learning theory. If you play in a key, that's music theory. If you know a scale is, that's theory. If you ever play a harmony line, then you are applying theory. By not studying it and learning what came before you, you're reinventing the wheel. Doubly so if you are asked to compose something in a style that you don't personally like (and as a film composer, you will be). And I can't imagine anyone getting to the point where they can't learn anything from Bach, for example!

Again, I get where you are coming from. My point is just that there is always more to learn (I'd call myself a C grade composer...consistently passable, occasionally really good) and one should never be afraid to learn from what came before. But my background is from the noise scene, which is VERY theory/structure intensive, and I spent a lot of time reinventing things that a bit of study before hand could have helped me get there quicker. Knowledge is always a good thing.

Of course, I know the basic theories of theory... I know what harmony is for example, and I do use it. But I don't know scales, modes, chords, or whatever. For that I use my ear. I even use my ear to create harmony.

I write all kinds of genres of music, I've even dabbled in Dance because I was asked to for a job (like you said, writing in genres I don't like is part of being a film/TV/game composer) My very first genre is heavy metal though, and I apply how I compose metal to every other genre. As it turns out, heavy metal is the genre today that is closest to classical music so I guess that helps!

I probably sound like an ass now, but that's ok. Music is something I like to do my own way, and I'd rather die than let someone take that away from me. I want to continue to do it how I am right now - self trained composer and music producer - and I like to help others realise that they too can do it that way. It just takes time and dedication, like anything you do in life. :)

Theory can help with communication but just look at Hans Zimmer - He composes the music but doesn't know deep theory, he has people do that for him.

Hans Zimmer is hardly the most creative or original of composers and as you say, he has to buy in the knowledge that he lacks.

You can study theory for a hundred years and still not produce a great piece of music.

Music theory is just that, theory, it only exists to explain how music works, not how to be a good composer. Musical theory is in effect just a set of tools. Like with say a carpenter, having a great set of tools does not make you a great carpenter, it's how the carpenter uses the tools which makes him/her great (or useless). So it is with music, knowing music theory does not make you a good composer, it's how you use the theory which makes you good or bad.

I hate the idea of "studying" musical theory, and I say you can teach or train yourself to do anything...The most creative people are those that discover the rules by themselves rather than being spoon-fed them by professors of this and that, and reading about theory is just about the same.

Using history as a reference, to learn all the musical tricks and techniques discovered and developed by a large number of musical geniuses should take you about 600 years. Or, you could read a few books and/or get someone to guide you and learn it in a more realistic time frame.

The truth, with very few exceptions over the last 600 years, is that the most creative composers study the theory (almost always with help) and then apply and/or develop it to suit their artistic vision.

As it turns out, heavy metal is the genre today that is closest to classical music so I guess that helps!

You are joking, right?

Music theory is simply knowledge and how does having more knowledge make you worse at doing something? Honestly, do yourself a favour and learn some music theory, while you're at it, some recording and mixing theory wouldn't hurt either.

G

I hate the idea of "studying" musical theory, and I say you can teach or train yourself to do anything, school is just one way, and definitely not the best way. The most creative people are those that discover the rules by themselves rather than being spoon-fed them by professors of this and that, and reading about theory is just about the same.

You know it's actually possible that a knowledge of music theory will not only improve the music you compose but it could also increase your enjoyment of music. It's strange to me that you would shun knowledge. You have no idea what music theory would do for you because you don't know it.
Also I don't believe the most creative film composers are those that discover the rules by themselves. If you were to write a list of the most creative people in any field you will find the vast majority have been trained in their field.

Back