• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing Your Own Music Clearance

Hey guys,

When clearing music from an unsigned band do you still need seperate sync and master use licences?
The agreement has been for festival use only and I want the contract to be as simple as possible.

Would something like ...

I (composer/songwriter) give permission for the song titled (title) by (band name) to be used in the production titled (film title) by (writer/director's name) for exhibition in film festivals only.

This contract does not give permission for the song to be included in the film if it is for sale in any format, etc.

Can it be that simple?

Or, if anybody has any "exhibiton/festival use only" clearance templates I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance.

I (composer/songwriter) give permission for the song titled (title) by (band name) to be used in the production titled (film title) by (writer/director's name) for exhibition in film festivals only.

Just mention that the band is giving this permission without expectation of compensation.

You don't need to add the other stuff unless the band requests it.

*I'm not a lawyer and am in the United States.*

Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback.

I assume it's worth getting them to sign both Master Use and Synchronisation licences, rather than just have clearance that says I can use the music in my film?

Apologies for being pedantic, I just want to make it as simple as possible.

Thanks again.

Sure, you can add it in if it makes you feel comfortable.

The way you wrote it in your first post leaves no doubt that they are giving you the ok to use it in festivals. Once you start adding other things (other than the compensation line), it works to THEIR advantage, not yours. There's a reason lawyers tell you to keep your mouth shut! :)

Judges tend to look at the intent of simple contracts (written by non-lawyers) rather than the exact wording. Once it gets complicated, they're obligated to follow the contents to the letter.

So keep it simple or use a full blown legal document which will protect you as well as the other party.

ps: is there any way the band will agree to let you use the music as you see fit for all venues and formats, including the selling of the film to a distributor? Many musicians, including mine, are willing to do this for the exposure -- after all YOU will be promoting their music though the film at no cost to them. Hmm? Something to think about.

Back