View Full Version : Sundance? REALLY?

dlevanchuk
08-28-2011, 08:34 PM
I need somebody to explain me... please...

How did this crap get into sundance film festival???

SVTw2w6MiFw

really????:no::no::no::no:

TheNoob
08-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Hmmm, I don't know but I was a bit annoyed watching 4 mins of it.

dlevanchuk
08-28-2011, 08:44 PM
i thought sundance was best of the best... but THAT video.. i'm just amazed.

Thats it, i'll stop writing and filming, and will film dancing bloody tampons with fish eyed lens

NickClapper
08-28-2011, 08:50 PM
I watched this when you tweeted it a couple of minutes ago. Thought it was hilarious.

I've no idea why it's Sundance worthy but I've no problem with it being there! I just wish I'd thought of it (whatever it is) first! :lol:

dlevanchuk
08-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Oh, thanks for following my tweets ;)

I guess the reason why it got in might because "Hmm.. nobody else did it before".

Oh well, i don't have a right yet to judge what gets in and what not haha

Going back to writing...

cameronchapman
08-28-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm not even sure where to start on that one...I think I'm just going to leave it alone... :weird:

that1guyy
08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Maybe it was a joke entry? do they have those?

ussinners
08-28-2011, 10:03 PM
But, it's not the official Sundance Logo. I guess anyone can put Official blah blah blah

Gonzo_Entertainment
08-28-2011, 10:11 PM
I thought it was hilarious. Not a big fan of the "wait... stretch it out just a LITTLE bit longer and it becomes REALLY funny" school, but when the payoff finally came it wasn't bad. At least it's not another bad Wes Anderson rip off, or the touching coming of age story of an edgy girl teen, or the relationship dynamics between a guy trying to start a sustainable farm in upstate New York while his girlfriend walks in the woods and reads romatic poetry, or any of the other dreck you see so much of at film festivals

dlevanchuk
08-28-2011, 10:21 PM
while his girlfriend walks in the woods and reads romatic poetry

:-D

Gonzo_Entertainment
08-28-2011, 10:30 PM
:-D

I just got back from the sidewalk film festival in Birmingham Alabama. That is about a 80% accurate logline of one opf the features playing there. I watched a shorts block this morning, wretched, just wrected. Plenty of high production values wasted on the the same stupid crap I have seen 15 times before. Great festival, packed theatres, awesome staff, and lots of high production value films with not one fucking thing to say or contribute that hasn't been done by 500 other film school grads.

chuckjoe42
08-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Pretty terrible

Michael Allen
08-28-2011, 11:25 PM
It's just dumb.

kinglis
08-28-2011, 11:44 PM
The first few minutes I didn't know what's going on apart from an actor is dressed as an animal (monkey?) and is standing on a tree... but then... :lol:... I think It's a good idea...
The lesson is: The artist should be brave!
Like if you go to Tate Modern in London, you'll see a square of white bricks on the floor, bought by the gallery for a lot of money: It's just a few bricks put on the floor, but It's a brave concept.
Courage's life's only measure :)

Brooksy
08-28-2011, 11:59 PM
There are several movies that I have seen make it into huge festivals that I have thought were complete garbage. I didn't understand why. Why would a piece with no story, no acting, and no production value get into a big festival. Well, then a friend of mind told me something that opened my eyes. He said "You have trouble seeing certain movies simply as pieces of art." That statement spoke volumes to me. If you look at all the art in the world, we see that art can be made from anything, carry several meanings, and not everyone is going to like or even get the piece. Maybe that is what this is: simply a piece of art.

That doesn't mean I like it or get it, but I guess somebody does.

wheatgrinder
08-29-2011, 06:33 AM
current fashion...

Sasquatch was a pretty big, sub culture meme in 2010\11. My teenage daughters had tshirts etc.

SinEater
08-29-2011, 07:40 AM
current fashion...

Sasquatch was a pretty big, sub culture meme in 2010\11. My teenage daughters had tshirts etc.

Haha, you must have nerdy daughters! That's definitely a compliment, by the way.

wheatgrinder
08-29-2011, 02:05 PM
yup, and they are cute too!

DeJager
08-29-2011, 04:45 PM
it's probably not even a real film/submission.

cameronchapman
08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
it's probably not even a real film/submission.

I looked it up, and it is... http://sundance.slated.com/2011/films/sasquatchbirthjournal2_sundance2011

Theodebernacius
08-29-2011, 08:13 PM
I looked it up, and it is... http://sundance.slated.com/2011/films/sasquatchbirthjournal2_sundance2011

Since it's has now been verified that this was a successful Sundance submission, I think we can now close a debate that's been ongoing in indietalk. For all I know, this could've been shot with the lousiest of cameras.

STORY COMES FIRST!

Symple
08-29-2011, 10:26 PM
What? :weird: Ooooo-kay! I can't even......forget it! NO COMMENT!:no:

WOW!:huh:

TheNoob
08-29-2011, 10:36 PM
You guys are all just envious of this filmmakers success.

Phil_UK
08-30-2011, 10:48 AM

We are just amazed by how shit this is!

DeJager
08-30-2011, 10:52 AM

Get. A . Clue

PaulGriffith
08-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Haha, I too was actually laughing a little bit UNTIL the punchline. Then I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I'm not sure if I'm laughing at the film itself or the "really?" factor.

Nate North
08-30-2011, 11:50 AM

This post is a lot funnier than the film itself, I think, sorry, know, that most people on this board are already better than this guy.

As far as getting into sundance, this seems like evidence that it's meaningless.

Nate North
08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Since it's has now been verified that this was a successful Sundance submission, I think we can now close a debate that's been ongoing in indietalk. For all I know, this could've been shot with the lousiest of cameras.

STORY COMES FIRST!

What story? What debate? debates have to have opposing sides.

Dreadylocks
08-30-2011, 02:05 PM
At least the sound design was good...

Gonzo_Entertainment
08-30-2011, 02:45 PM
At least the sound design was good...

haha!

And as I alluded to before at least it's not about an edgy teenage girl trying to find herself in the face of crushing societal norms or any other of the hackneyed dreck that every "i just graduated film school" director makes and festivals seem to love.

indietalk
08-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Not every film is narrative. This is more experimental but also shows Sundance has been paying attention to the viral scene. This "WTF?" film has people talking (and promoting Sundance).

Nate North
08-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Not every film is narrative. This is more experimental but also shows Sundance has been paying attention to the viral scene. This "WTF?" film has people talking (and promoting Sundance).

I love a good art film, even a silent film, even plotless films like Baraka, but this, this is just garbage.

This looks like it was clipped out of a spike tv show that runs at 2am.

On a positive note, it looks like I can spend 2 hours this week and get into sundance.:lol:

SinEater
08-30-2011, 04:06 PM
On a positive note, it looks like I can spend 2 hours this week and get into sundance.:lol:

I think I'm going to film two hours of my grandfather on the toilet via hidden camera. Based on the noises I heard the last time I visited, it would make for enthralling cinema.

kinglis
08-30-2011, 04:22 PM
It's obvious that the creators of the film are inspired by Apichatpong Weerasethakul style.
Anyway, I'm glad I've seen this short, bad or good, It's a controversial piece worth seeing.

Kholi
09-02-2011, 06:54 PM

STORY COMES FIRST!

In a perfect world, sure. If that were the case, though then we wouldn't have any movies, because ninety percent of filmmaker are HORRIBLE story tellers, even if they think they're great.

Connections and knowing people comes first. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH STORY.

You can get into ANY festival if you know the right people.

This post is a lot funnier than the film itself, I think, sorry, know, that most people on this board are already better than this guy.

As far as getting into sundance, this seems like evidence that it's meaningless.

Sundance? Meaingless? Really????

I love a good art film, even a silent film, even plotless films like Baraka, but this, this is just garbage.

This looks like it was clipped out of a spike tv show that runs at 2am.

Are you sure your stuff isn't garbage to someone else? I know it's normal for filmmakers to posture that their material is better than another persons... a lot of the times, that isn't the case.

A little humble pie goes a long way.

It's obvious that the creators of the film are inspired by Apichatpong Weerasethakul style.
Anyway, I'm glad I've seen this short, bad or good, It's a controversial piece worth seeing.

A+ for great attitude.

Need more of this.

wheatgrinder
09-09-2011, 06:20 PM
with Paranormal Activity 3 on the way, this (the OP short) just seems to be an example of more of the same..

MichaelPaul
09-09-2011, 06:49 PM
I've been to Sundance only nce - not showing, but watching. I spent a week seeing everything I could get into. And I have to admit I left dumbfounded. Some movies I loved. It was the year Napoleon Dynamite and SuperSizeMe. Saw the Butterfly Effect premiere, The Woodsman, Garden State, Primer and Eulogy. Enjoyed all of those (except for maybe the Woodsman), but between those I saw a lot of crap and mind numbingly boring, moody go nowhere stuff. But to be honest, that's festivals.

We all have the stuff that appeals to us. Our fine tuned cultured niche that we love and that inspires us to make our own. I am sure there are people who think that video is probably the greatest thing they ever saw. Hell, I know my wife doesn't get half the movies I drool over. The fact that it made it into Sundance actually makes me feel better. That amid all of their giant budget celebrity studded mainstream "indies," and pretentious self indulgent docu-bio pics, that stuff like that still gets through. That piece made someone there smile enough to push to get it in the schedule.

That's actually pretty cool.

Gonzo_Entertainment
09-09-2011, 08:55 PM
I've been to Sundance only nce - not showing, but watching. I spent a week seeing everything I could get into. And I have to admit I left dumbfounded. Some movies I loved. It was the year Napoleon Dynamite and SuperSizeMe. Saw the Butterfly Effect premiere, The Woodsman, Garden State, Primer and Eulogy. Enjoyed all of those (except for maybe the Woodsman), but between those I saw a lot of crap and mind numbingly boring, moody go nowhere stuff. But to be honest, that's festivals.

We all have the stuff that appeals to us. Our fine tuned cultured niche that we love and that inspires us to make our own. I am sure there are people who think that video is probably the greatest thing they ever saw. Hell, I know my wife doesn't get half the movies I drool over. The fact that it made it into Sundance actually makes me feel better. That amid all of their giant budget celebrity studded mainstream "indies," and pretentious self indulgent docu-bio pics, that stuff like that still gets through. That piece made someone there smile enough to push to get it in the schedule.

That's actually pretty cool.

I was at Sundance that year, working for Troma.

MichaelPaul
09-09-2011, 11:03 PM
I was at Sundance that year, working for Troma.

Really? That's awesome. I swung by Tromadance that year and bent Lloyd's ear as long as he would let me. I have a picture of he and I in that downstairs bar somewhere.

Gonzo_Entertainment
09-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Really? That's awesome. I swung by Tromadance that year and bent Lloyd's ear as long as he would let me. I have a picture of he and I in that downstairs bar somewhere.

I used to put on a music festival called Tromapalooza here in Nashville to raise money for the film festival. I was there as a "sponsor". I used to talk to Lloyd on the phone all the time, but not so much the past year. He's been really busy.

rockerrockstar
09-10-2011, 12:23 PM
I think it was at least a minute too long. They could have edited down. I got impatient and jumped to the ending. It could be a minute long video probably. For a while I thought it was big foot taking a dump in a tree thing.

harmonica44
09-17-2011, 12:45 PM
I guess it's experimental like pointed, out and not all experimental movies have to have a narrative or even a point, I guess. But... how would a film festival judge it then? If there is no bad in experimental, then how do you know what's good?

Nate North
09-17-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm holding my position that any person in their right mind could make a film 3x this good. Mixing a pretentious film style with the stupidity of youtube isn't my definition of innovative or controversial. I could write something far more controversial in 2 minutes, but being as offensive as possible is a very lowbrow way to attract attention, and it's easy to do better.

Just because IQ and attention span have plummeted to the level where people think "keeping up with the kardashians" is a valid work of art, doesn't make it so. This year, Dancing with the Stars surely got more views than Citizen Kane, but that doesn't mean it's a more important, or better in any way. Sundance has a lot of name recognition, but that doesn't mean I let it do my thinking for me.

dlevanchuk
09-17-2011, 02:57 PM
i was always under assumption that sundance was THE film festival.. every filmmakers book that ive read talks about how carefully each film is examined by a programmer.. Sundance was called Best of the Best, Big Khahuna of festivals, with slim to none chances of a novice filmmaker getting in.
Having your film shown at Sundance means that you re top notch, and your unique film have been noticed out of thousands of submittions.. and by 'unique' i dont mean "sasquach gives birth of a tree, and later washes her vagina with river water", but human emotions, real experiences, where the viewer can say "that was AWESOME".

Am i simply putting sundance on a pedestal? Or maybe its just one unique joke video that slipped into their programming? i guess u can say i dont have sense of humor, because i dont get the joke at all..

harmonica44
09-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Maybe some one slipped it in secretly as a prank or to get noticed, and it got shown by the projectionist, not knowing.

NickClapper
09-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Sundance is an excellent marker for independent films.

Obviously there are problems and some films will slip under the radar but the majority of films that get rejected by Sundance deserve to get rejected. Independent is not synonymous with good. The good ones get into Sundance (and other festivals) and get some sort of release, the rest go in the trash. Most independent films are not very good at all.

If I ever got a film into Sundance it'd be an amazing experience and opportunity. I understand that a lot of filmmakers resent their selection process but they need to remember that there are other film festivals available and that Sundance is noted for being the top level of independent movies. I think sniffing at it is a tad churlish.

dlevanchuk
09-17-2011, 03:18 PM
fair enough.. i need to get over it. time to go do some location scouting for my next masterpiece!

rayw
09-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Maybe some one slipped it in secretly as a prank or to get noticed, and it got shown by the projectionist, not knowing.
I did that to my girlfriend once! :no::yes::lol:

-JK-
09-17-2011, 08:06 PM
I did that to my girlfriend once! :no::yes::lol:

Ba-zingggg!