Consumer vs Prosumer for small price difference?

I was just searching through BH photo. I came across these:

Canon Vixia HFG 10 on sale for $1399. Its listed as a consumer camcorder

Then under Prosumer there is this:

Panasonic AG HMC40 on sale for $1695 (not listed but thats what it sells for)

As I am not an expert on cameras, just glancing at it , why wouldn't you buy a prosumer camera for a few hundred dollars more? One that has a manual focus (okay thats what I like).

What is it about the Canon camera that would be more appealing? - Aside from the fact that it is small. Becauase in truth, I think spending over a grand on a consumer camera is quite high...but thats why I am posting this...because I really don't know.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about the labels they put on these cameras, it's all marketing nonsense. The terms "Professional", "Broadcast", "Prosumer" are essentially meaningless. Get the camera that has the features you need at the price you can afford.

Did you come across it at B and H or somewhere else? ;)

What brianluce said, its all BS. The XA10 is about 500 bucks more than the HFG10 and its considered "professional" even though its the same exact camera but with a handle and xlr inputs.

Don't worry about what they call cameras and just look at what features they have and what is useful for you.

There might be little things -- you might not be able to turn the audio AGC off on a consumer model whereas the prosumer you can for instance. Also, perhaps miniplug inputs only vs XLR jacks. Check everything!

Good luck.

I would love manual focus but I cannot find one in the consumer range that offers it.
As far as XLR cables, I think most Vixias can handle that? Perhaps with an extra cable? I know the media center has Vixia cameras and use Beachtech with them.

I ordered a second hand Canon Hfs100 from BH. I have never bought a used camera before but they said they guarentee it. To think of it, I never ordered a camera online either. The local camera place that specializes in Canons is very expensive. They sell it for retail , offer no deals and don't deal in used products.

So yes I am nervous about this one. But I figured the price I paid I could get a brand new one, lot cheaper model that has less of what I want.

We will see. Right now I am playing with a Samsung which is cheap. Its very limited but again, you get what you pay for.

Kari, I think you'll enjoy that Canon, which does have manual focus, BTW (see link below). I own two HFS20s, and they're wonderful. The image quality (for example sharpness and color) is excellent.

But I record audio separately on a ZOOM digital recorder (which has XLR inputs). Camera body noise makes me crazy, and in general, I don't trust in-camera audio quality.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HF-S100-Camcorder-Review-36389/Manual-Controls.htm

Okay a thought just ran through my head. I noticed they didn't state that it came with a disc (to register on the computor) I have never had a camcorder/camera that didn't come with a disc. So how will my computor recognize anything when I plug the camera in?

I called BH today and asked if the used product came with a disc. The first three people in the used deptartment didn't know. The fourth one said it did but now noticing, it didn't say it did on the slot that read 'whats in the box'.

Am I being paranoid here? I don't want to have trouble downloading the footage to my computor because I don't have the original disc to register this camera.

So how will my computor recognize anything when I plug the camera in?

This is exactly the kind of thing Techies forget to mention when they recommend something, often a hot new cool camera/format -- one has to make sure your computer/software is up to the task. Maybe its suppose to work, but if it doesn't the problem is yours ($$$) to solve. Fixing conflicts and glitches is not my idea of fun so research beyond ancedotes in forums is always a good idea!

So when one gets a new piece of equipment, EVERYTHING in the chain must work. The ultimate cost you pay for the camera includes making everything else work with it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
The HFS100 series uses SD cards to record. You will need to buy one separately! Then you just pop it out and put it into an SD card reader to move the files. No disc needed (though it comes with some PC software I have never installed, which presumably allows direct file transfer -- I'm a Mac editor).

Make sure your card is at least SDHC 4GB (or you won't be able to record in higher quality modes), and that it's rated at least Class 4, 6, or 10. Read your manual, and see the link below (from the same review I linked to before).

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HF-S100-Camcorder-Review-36389/Compression-amp-Media.htm

The camera records in AVCHD. You need to figure out a workflow to use AVCHD, as many NLEs will not use the format as the files are big and highly compressed, which many a computer will choke on. For example, I convert all of my AVCHD footage to ProRes to use in FCP.

Don't worry, the software that comes with Canon cameras is absolute rubbish. You're better off without having to worry about extra garbage on your conscience. ;)

What are the specs of your computer? Even when converted to more manageable files stuff shot in AVCHD tends to be pretty big and resource intensive. If you haven't updated your computer within the past few years, there's a good chance you won't be able to edit stuff you shoot at the highest resolution and bitrate.

Also, the HFS100 is a great camera. It's a little outdated in today's DSLR world, but just a year and change ago I was seriously considering getting one. Good luck.

Back